Scotland road trip


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » The Highlands
September 1st 2012
Published: September 6th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Scotland roadtrip

Edinburgh, Loch Lomond, Ben Nevis, Loch Ness, Inverness, Aberdeen, Portsoy, Cairngorms, Applecross, Isle of Skye, Stow

Robert the BruceRobert the BruceRobert the Bruce

Dunfermline Abbey
We are nearing the end of our time in Scotland, its been nice catching up with the family and enjoying some home comforts as well as seeing the sights of Scotland. Tom managed to survive the weather and meeting the entire Elliott clan...

We stole mum's car a lot so headed off on a roadtrip to show Tom the best of Scotland and also show me a lot of the places I haven't got round to seeing. Highlights were climbing Ben Nevis, the highest mountain in the UK, its about 1300m so not that high but it can be quite tough because of the unpredicatable weather. We didn't have too much trouble climbing it, got some great views from half way up but then it clouded over so we didn't see much at the top. Still, a good climb and we enjoyed a well deserved pub lunch at the bottom at the Ben Nevis Inn.

We also visited Loch Ness and Urquhart castle. The castle was blown up in 1692 so its really just a ruin but it was pretty and a nice setting on the bank of Loch Ness.

We spent a lovely three days with my bestie the infamous Claire Bird. Tom had the pleasure of listening to the two of us cackle away for days. We also checked out the fishing villages around Aberdeen.

One of our favourite places in Scotland is a little coastal place called Applecross. It's in Wester Ross and looks out to the Isle of Skye. The local Inn served up some great seafood and we went on a couple of walks along the coast before finishing up with a very quick dip in the sea.

We also visited St Andrew's for the day. Not only is it the home of golf but appears to be the Scottish home of surfing, or it was the day we visited. The surf was up (well about 1-2ft but as good as it was ever going to be) so Tom stole a surfboard from a teenage girl on the beach and caught a few waves. The local surfers / body boarders seemed to be impressed with his surfing skills!

Our last roadtrip was to Dunfermline where we visited my brother and new sister in law and also the Dunfermline Abbey, which is not only home to Robert the Bruce's tomb but is where the Durie family (a possible distant relative of Tom's) presided over for many years.

All in all, we have had a lovely, relaxing time in Scotland, enjoying the outdoors. Thanks to Helen and George for looking after us so well.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Durie plaqueDurie plaque
Durie plaque

Dunfermline Abbey
Claire and DougClaire and Doug
Claire and Doug

Our host in Aberdeen
Final HoleFinal Hole
Final Hole

British Open


Tot: 0.267s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb