Wild in Scotland


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Stirlingshire » Stirling
April 8th 2006
Published: April 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I joined my "Wild in Scotland" bus tour early this morning for a three day trip around the Scotland Highlands. I was pleased to find out that everyone on the trip was really friendly and that we had two great tour guides who would be showing us the sights.

We started off by heading to the William Wallace Memorial. For those of you who don't know, William Wallace's story is told in the Braveheart movie. He was a true Scottish hero rurmored to be able to fight off 6 men at a time. He was a commoner who led the Scottish people against the rule of the British. He won several battles and afterwards went into exile in France and Spain. He returned a few years later only to be captured by the British. The British wanted to make sure that everyone knew what would happen to you if you stood up to them. To make this point clear they first dragged William Wallace 450 mile on horse back to London and then drawed and quartered him, taking each piece of his body to a separate part of Scotland. Sounds quite gruesome!

We then made a visit to our little friend, Hamish. Apparently he is quite a legend. He is a huge "hairy coo" as they say in Scotland. We bought some apples and fed him, although he was foaming a bit too much at the mouth for me, so I stood back and watched. Then we picked up another friend, Tam (Scottish whiskey). I'm not the biggest whisky fan but I have to say it went down quite smooth.

On the way to our next stop, we visited a commando memorial. To our surprise there were some commandos (not real ones) dressed up for a WWII re-enactment. We got back ont he bus and arrived at our first Loch (lake), Loch Labnaig. It was beautiful.

Our last sight of the day was a castle that was set on a Loch. One of the girl's o the bus has a brother who was married there. What a great spot for a wedding! Finally, we arrived at our hostel in Plokton. We made a yummy mexian dinner and then headed to the pub where we beat the locals in a game of pool.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.197s; Tpl: 0.041s; cc: 13; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0539s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb