Let them eat Cake !!


Advertisement
Published: August 10th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Today we started with a cake walk. Well actually the search for a cake for the kids on their return from the Worlds in Glasgow on Saturday. So Doug and I are sent to research the local bakeries and report back to "those who must be obeyed" or as they are becoming referred to here as "the Queens".
The Bridge of Allan has only two bakeries so the task was within the grasp of a couple older guys. But first we had to fill and order from one Queen to pick up 4 scotch pies from a small strore called Mathiesons. They are a small bakery selling some breads, rolls, desserts, sandwiches, and pies.
That task completed we made our way to the bakery their highnesses had directed us to. A similar bakery to Mathiesons staffed by two friendly and helpful older Scotish ladies. (well, i suppose what other types of ladies would you expect in Scotland??) They said they needed a weeks notice, at least. We explained we didn't have a week and when they heard it was for the pipe band they went the extra miles calling the their supervisor and the baker but to no avail.
They did however suggest we might try Mathiesons but it was unlikely.
We tried Mathiesons, found success, got the details and began our way back to report but now it was lunch time and since we were near the Westerton Arms decided to try it out but we were a few moments too early. Lunch is from 12:00 noon to 2:30PM.
So to fill in time we visited Jimmie Wilsons favorite Pub - the Rising Sun. Now this is my idea of a neighbourhood pub. A pint later and it was back to the Westerton Arms were we found the hambugers weren't too bad.
Because time's racing away from us and the cake has to be ordered ASAP we order a taxi for the return trip to Alexander Court. Half way along we see two of the Queens, (Lorie and Joan) abandon our cabbie and make our report and continue to walk back.
Back in the apartment everyone is gone so it is an ideal time to walk back to the computer lab to check e-mails etc, then rush back to prepare for our pasta night.
And that's about it for another day !!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0274s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb