ON THE ROAD at Invergordon, Scotland


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Ross and Cromarty » Cromarty
January 26th 2017
Published: January 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Invergordon is a town and port in Easter Ross, in Ross and Cromarty, Highland, Scotland. I docked here last August aboard Holland America's Koningsdam. It was a relatively long walk from the ship to the end of the pier. Pat and I had an included Travel Leader's Distinctive Voyages tour at this port.

We explored the "Black Isle"which is actually a peninsula. It si thought that the name originates from the fact that the soil is very dark in color or from the Gaelic word for black, dubh. The peninsula is an area of rolling farmland and pretty villages. We viewed hundreds of waterfowl as we drove along the Cromarty Firth on our way to Cromarty.

The highlight of the day was our visit to the ancient village of Cromarty. The town has many preserved Georgian structures dating from the 18th century built on foundations dating back to the 12th century. It has been called the Highlands' best preserved historic town. It contains a 17th century East Church with its extraordinary pews that is one of the best preserved Presbyterian Churches in Scotland.

Leaving Cromarty we passed through the fabled Fairy Glen and the village of Rosemarkie before
KoningsdamKoningsdamKoningsdam

docked at Invergordon
stopping to visit the remains of a 13th century Cathedral in Fortrose. What looks today like a freestanding building nearby was originally the sacristy and chapter house extending from the north side of the choir of the cathedral.

After recrossing the Cromarty Bridge we stopped along the firth near the North Kessock Hotel to see if we could spot some dolphins or seals. We were not lucky but it was a nice photo stop. We then proceeded back to Invergordon and the Koningsdam.

You can take advantage of Travel Leader's Distinctive Voyages tours that are offered on hundreds of cruises.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Waterfowl Waterfowl
Waterfowl

with Koningsdam on the Firth in the background
Sacristy and Chapter HouseSacristy and Chapter House
Sacristy and Chapter House

What looks today like a freestanding building nearby was originally the sacristy and chapter house extending from the north side of the choir of the cathedral.


Tot: 0.265s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0975s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb