Off to discover the Butt of Harris!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Outer Hebrides » Stornoway
April 11th 2012
Published: May 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today began early with a quuck trip to the supermarket to get goodies for our picnic lunch later at the butt of Lewis, Scotland's most northern point and most windy! We started at the Calanais standing stones which are even older than stone henge! They stand 7m tall and the top part of them have been uncovered by archeologists, although they really have no idea what their meaning is. Poor Ann had a pretty major stack at this point and fell over in the mud, I think it was Natasha who then followed suit and we had some wet and muddy seats on the bus :-(. We then visited DunCarloway which is a place that the highlanders used to live. They had an outer and inner wall for warmth - and by jolly you need it out here in the outer Hebrides, its super COLD! They also had 3-4 levels in house, the bottom level was for the animals which also provided heating for the people living on the upper floors - their kitchen and living areas. Our resident dare devil Max decided to climb right to the top and give the rest of us heart attacks, but the photos are great!

From there we visited a village of traditional blackhouses at Gearannan and learnt how they made tweed and peat. We then took in the sunshine and walked up to the edge of the cliffs at the beach to get an incredible view of the local countryside. Our next toilet stop had incredible views also, so I have included a photo. Haha Our official picnic spot, the lighthouse at the Butt of Lewis was definately more impressive but definately colder and more windy, as you might expect! It was strange being so close to Iceland at this point! We then headed to Carols favorite beach Europie Dunes Park to see the funky kids park (which they weren't allowed to play in on Sundays, as they are strictly religious here). We weaved our way through the giant dunes out to the windy beach to played on the beach drawing pictures and playing sand angels. :-)


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb