Last day...so sad


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
July 16th 2012
Published: July 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Russell pre-raceRussell pre-raceRussell pre-race

Getting in position.
Woke up to a sunny day and I did a run through the pentlands one last time! Nice to have a few dry days in a row! After changing our minds several times on how to spend our final day, we came upon another Highland Games right across the Forth Road bridge in Burntisland. This is quite close, only 45 minutes away and just across the firth. So, off we went! This one was similar to the one in Alva with quite a large midway behind the central field where the actual competitions were held. Once we found a good place to sit and watch all the events, we started to recognize quite a few familiar faces! Several cyclists, runners and even heavies guys that we have seen at either one or both of the previous games we been to! It is quite a serious circuit that these athletes follow.

A highlight today was that we finally got organized in time to get Russell over to compete in the boys 7-10 race. They run 90m and they handicap the boys by age so the older boys have to run farther for each year of their age. Russell ran fast and
WinningsWinningsWinnings

Now, when he gets home, he will have to claim professional status....
ended up coming 3rd in spite of being blocked in by a couple of younger boys who started in front of him by about 10m! So, he collected his prize which was 3 pounds! Cold hard cash! Rachel didn't feel like competing and Nigel and I both missed races that we could have entered. Anyways, the day was beautiful and the races and heavies were fun to watch! Too bad we didn't know about the prize money sooner or Russell could have run a few more races.

Home to tidy and pack. Then off to the pub for one final meal. Then leaving in the morning...hoping to meet our exchange family in the Toronto airport but it will be tight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



16th July 2012

Way to go, Russel!!!!!!!!!!!!
16th July 2012

Happy you'll be home soon!
Love reading your blog Nige, I know you all must be sad to be leaving. But the kids and I will be happy to see you all back here!

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb