Edinburgh - The Handsome City (Offering Culinary Delight)


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
February 27th 2012
Published: February 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Scotland was not my top choice of European cities to visit. But, due to its close promximity to London, it made its way into our itinerary.

Arriving in rainy Edinburgh wasn't a great start to the whole trip, especially after 3 flights in almost 24 hours. However, this was compensated by lodging at the pretty cozy modern Apex Waterloo Pace Hotel.

The next morning was a clear day (yes, rain's gone). But, the wind was strong and chilly to the extent that our naked ears were going to freeze. Fortunately, we were in city with convenience of modern day shops and so, we quickly bought berets from a chain retail store.

Edinburgh is a charming place because it is filled with well-maintained old sandstone buildings. Very tidy and easy-to-move around on foot. We soaked in the atmosphere and visited the free places of interest. EdinburghCastle wasn't one of those free places and it just didn't seem like it was worth it. Perhaps we were wrong. But the free places were great. The National Gallery was my first exposure to grand antique paintings. Then, we explored the National Museum of Scotland. It housed a myraid of exhibits, from astronomy to religion to lifestyle etc. These attracted a family crowd. And, not to miss at this Museum was the rooftop which offered an aerial view of Edinburgh city.

Edinburgh's charm also lies in its good food. I am really surprised to satisfy my tastebud there and I didn't crave for asian food. We had italian food at Martone which was near our hotel. Its Martone pasta was a really simple dish of penne with cheezy sauce but tasted fantastic. As it advertised its gourmet ice-cream, I ordered it and was delighted except for its stingy serving. We also visited the Elephant House, which was where JK Rowling wrote Harry Potter. It was cozy and good stuff sold out fast. On our last night in Edinburgh, we dined at Mussels Inn which the hotel staff recommended. The pre-theatre set meal was good value-for-money and we enjoyed the meal thoroughly. It started with chowder with generous serving of seafood. Then, the recommended pot of mussel cooked in a choiced flavour. Finally, the perfect end with a strawberry cake.

A short two days' stay in Edinburgh but was glad it didn't disappoint.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Mussel InnMussel Inn
Mussel Inn

spoilt for choice of flavours


Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0639s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb