Edinburgh Fringe


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
August 12th 2011
Published: September 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

FRINGE!FRINGE!FRINGE!

This street was closed off and was impossible to walk down due to crowds!
First off, let me apologise, once again for the delay in updating the blog. (and also, for forgetting what we've already posted...oops)

OK, Edinburgh! The annual Fringe Festival was on, we had a free weekend, so booked ourselves some cheap bus tickets and jumped on board the 9hr bus ride through England to Edinburgh, Scotland. Of course, when we arrived, it rained. But after that it didn't really rain again, so we were lucky.

We checked into our overpriced hostel... which was quite a nice room, but the bed was shocking. imagine springs... and a sheet over it. yeah... we didn't sleep well in Edinburgh, but we had a lovely kitchenette and ensuite, just not a good bed. We used our kitchen to make pasta (thank you local 24hr Tesco) and saved a few bucks there. Went for a little bit of a walk, but settled for an early night.

Saturday we chased free Fringe shows... but as the saying goes "its free to get in, but we'll charge you to get out"... haha... just a small donation if you liked the show, bascially. We had the day to kill so walked around Edinburgh, checked out where the
Craig Hill and Craig HallCraig Hill and Craig HallCraig Hill and Craig Hall

one of the shows we saw
Tattoo was happening, and Edinburgh Castle... but there were too many people so we'll go back to visit the castle. We weren't going to pay 18 quid to have no decent photos and be squashed in crowds. (yay, another holiday!) Saturday night we went to see Craig Hill. Very similar name to Craig's... He's a Scottish comedian, for those of you who dont know... also VERY gay. He did tell me that I should say goodbye to Hally cos he fancied him... hehe! We had front row seats, and had a great night. Would've been better if we could understand the scottish accent... my favourite word was "hoose" which, translated.. is house.

Sunday we chased a few more free shows. One of the best shows we saw was Four Screws Loose, which was hilarious. We also saw a magic show, which craig was like a little kid in. Biggest smile ever on his face as he struggled to figure out how it was done... MAGIC!

We climbed a Steeple tower thing... "Walter Scott Monument" all I remember was it was 287 steps, and the stairs grew so narrow you couldn't pass people coming up or down, and towards the top, Craig's shoulders wouldnt fit, so he had to climb sideways haha! But at the top was a great 360 view of the city, which was amazing.

We collected our souvenirs (which we do a lot of), Craig now has a pair of Scottish tartan pants and a ranga wig hat, which looks hilarious, especially when he hasn't shaved for a week and his beard goes a bit red... hehe...

That night we saw Best of the Fest which started at midnight. That was also a good night out, with laughs a plenty.

Next day was the return bus back to our London Lives.

Edinburgh is awesome. So pretty and historic. We're definitely going back!

Enjoy the pics!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

BagpipesBagpipes
Bagpipes

Couldnt go to Scotland without seeing a Bagpipe player!
Tattoo and CastleTattoo and Castle
Tattoo and Castle

so many old people were there for the Tattoo!
Walter Scott MonumentWalter Scott Monument
Walter Scott Monument

we climbed all the way to the top! 287 stairs
Ed Caslte at nightEd Caslte at night
Ed Caslte at night

Full Moon glow


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb