The DCs explore Edinburgh


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
September 6th 2010
Published: September 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Date Monday 6th September 2010
City London to Edinburgh
Currency GBP
Climate low 8c - high 15c - fine

Our stay at the Montana Excel Bed and Breakfast in Argyle Square went well. We had a double room with shower but no toilet - this was down the small hallway and was no issue at all - just sharing with a handful of other rooms. The shower was tiny but had good water pressure. The bed was only a double with one pillow each but the linen was comfortable and clean - so suited us just fine. The breakfast (included) was hearty comprising hard poached eggs, toast, sausages, bacon and baked beans. They also served us tea and there was juice and cereal available as well. We were on the 2nd floor and so getting the bags up and down the stairs was OK but the stairs are narrow and so sliding them down seemed to be the most efficient way on check-out. We left the hotel at about 10.30am and walked 2 minutes to Kings Cross station where our EastCoast train would depart for Edinburgh at 11am. We purchased the ticket a few months ago on-line as they can range in price from 14GBP for advance purchase right up to well over 100GBP. We had the cheapest available fare and the best seats. We sat right in the window - seats 43 and 45 on the east side of the carriage. This enables an excellent view of the coast. Between us was a table that allowed us get out the netbook to write this diary and to spread things out a bit. If you book tickets on this train the even numbers are aisle seats and the odd numbers are window seats. We were lucky to have the four seats to ourselves for the first 45mins - then a couple of teenage girls joined us between Peterborough and Newcastle. We then used our 10GBP catering vouchers - purchased for 8GBP online at the time of booking our tickets. We were lucky as they had run out off all hot dinners except for two - a fisherman’s pie and a shepherd’s pie. They were packaged up in a moulded plate with plastic cutlery cleverly attached - quite an efficient way to sell the meals. It was partnered with a salad and we also bought a beer and wine - as you do!
On arrival into Edinburgh around 3.15pm we were met by Richard (Jennie’s brother). It was great to see him after 3-4 years of him living overseas. He helped up navigate our way to the Caledonia Backpackers with our bags which was great. Edinburgh is very compact and we saw many of the tourist “must see” sights on the short walk from Waverley Station to Queensferry Street where the Backpackers is situated. A quick and easy check-in and we were in our double “private” room. This meant we didn’t share the room with anyone but we still had to share the bathroom and toilets with other tourists on our floor. Perfect for us and spacious, the room comprised one of those bunk beds that have a double bed on the bottom and a single on the top. There was a mirror, a small table and two chairs - to complete the furnishings. The linen was nice and seemed newish. We were pleased we had packed our travel towels as we would have had to hire one otherwise.
After ditching our bags, Richard took us for a quick tour of the immediate vicinity. We had a drink and then left each other for a few hours and met back at the University to go for dinner. We walked down Grassmarket and up Candlemaker Row to Bobby’s Bar - named after the famous Bobby dog that hung out at the adjacent Greyfriers Kirk yard. The statue of the dog out front has a very shiny nose, due to the many people rubbing it with the promise of good luck to follow. Shaun was keen to have haggis and was disappointed when all the haggis stuffed chicken was sold out! Feeling pretty tired we head back to the backpackers around 9.30pm.

Date Tuesday 7th September 2010
City Edinburgh, Scotland
Climate low 8c - high 15c - rainy then fine

Still getting to grips with the time difference from China we woke at 5.30am. This enabled us to get showers and breakfast uncontested! After that and catch up on emails and the travel blog we left the hostel to explore our environs.
Being rainy, there were not too many tourists about, so we were able to climb the Scott Monument without too much congestion. The narrow spiral staircase was a little tricky as when we did meet people coming the other way we really had to breathe in!
Our sightseeing took us into Jenner’s lovely department store, The Royal Mile, the St. Giles Cathedral, the Edinburgh Castle and “Oink” - the roast pig and haggis fast food shop!
After enjoying the succulent pork meat in a roll with haggis and apple sauce for added interest, we wandered down to Grassmarket where we had a vino and beer in the sun at the White Hart Inn. This opened in 1516 and is apparently the oldest pub in Edinburgh. Its story is about two guys being body snatchers for the medical school - for anatomical research. All the pubs seem to have some sort of morbid history. Next we walked to the Museum, passing on the way the Martyr’s Monument - where many ministers, witches and soldiers were publically executed. The Museum provided a good opportunity to view the Castle from another perspective. The weather had cleared by then and we found the roof terrace a good place to get our bearings and take in the vast surroundings. Inside the Museum we viewed the famous Lewis Chessmen and we were also fascinated by “the Maiden” - a huge collapsible guillotine. A clever invention designed for multiple use and good storage ability between each beheading!
At 5pm we met Richard again near the University and he took us for a short tour of the New College where he is studying, before heading over to Carlton Hill for more monuments, towers and views. Once the rain started again we decided it was time for the pub. We went to a gorgeous place called The Royal. The walls are adorned with bright shiny ceramic wall art depicting Scottish inventions from times gone by. After one drink we were hungry. We found a great little pub in Rose Street called Auld Hundred. We were very naughty and we all succombed to the delicious desserts. Our stroll home went along George Street where many of the upmarket shops and hotels are. Shortly we were back to the reality of the Caledonian Backpackers. Although the bar looked very lively and inviting we knew it would be wiser to retire as we had the beginning of our road trip starting the next morning.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



17th September 2010

Sigh, Edinburgh
Hiello you two. Fabulous reading your adventures and seeing that I've been to some of the places you are going to. Keep the news coming, its really great. All well back here. Take care of yourselves! Viva Roma!! :-) xxxxxx

Tot: 0.217s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb