Day Three - No S. Sherlock, We're the NoGoHolmesies


Advertisement
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
December 26th 2009
Published: January 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Everybody got a break yesterday when we got to sleep in. Today we were up earlier, but not by much. We met in my room for breakfast at 9:00. We wanted to get to the Vue Cinema early because we were anticipating big crowds for the highly publicized, sure-thing blockbuster movie "Sherlock Holmes". Not only was this a movie about a British hero and written by a local Edinburgh lad, but based on ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Where's Fergie?Where's Fergie?
Where's Fergie?

A terrible picture that looked ok in the viewfinder. Gail and Cassie are posing with a big black iron statue of the poet Robert Fergusson. He appears to be camouflaged.
Canongate TolboothCanongate Tolbooth
Canongate Tolbooth

I never claimed the Scots could spell, but this is where tolls or public debts were paid to the town of Canongate. The building dates from 1591. The building also served as a court and prison. Today it houses a museum called "The People's Story".
One of My BestOne of My Best
One of My Best

Most of my attempts at artistic photos were complete failures. For once I guessed right and got the lighting almost perfect. This alley leads under the Canongate Tolbooth.
Not What I Intended But Still a GoodieNot What I Intended But Still a Goodie
Not What I Intended But Still a Goodie

I was trying to capture the bronze bricks in the cobbled road which delineate the Canongate area from Edinburgh. Instead I got a pretty shiny picture of bricks in general. If you click on the picture and enlarge it you can discern the golden markers.
It's "End of the World" as We Know ItIt's "End of the World" as We Know It
It's "End of the World" as We Know It

On the corner just after leaving Canongate and heading back up the Royal Mile into Edinburgh proper is "The End of the World" pub. In the summer it draws a lot of tourists. Tonight it was full of locals but much less boisterous.
Standing on the CornerStanding on the Corner
Standing on the Corner

As per usual, Tyler and I lagged behind the others as we scurried to outdo each other with tricky photo compositions. He was off on a side street getting a shot of Calton Hill when I took this deserted street scene. The Christmas tree in the 1st floor flat is a nice touch.
Jumping Ahead Half an HourJumping Ahead Half an Hour
Jumping Ahead Half an Hour

When we drew nigh our hotel Cassie and Grandma went inside out of the freezing rain. Tyler, Gail and I decided to do some further walking. After walking through the lifeless Grassmarket area we navigated up the steeply inclined Bow Street which at this point turned into Victoria. No reason, they just changed the street name halfway uphill.
Looking BackLooking Back
Looking Back

Maybe this bend in the street justifies changing the name from "Bow" to "Victoria". Right after taking this photo two fellows strolling arm in arm smiled at me and said "good evening". Very friendly people, these Scots.
Fake-out MINI CooperFake-out MINI Cooper
Fake-out MINI Cooper

We were initially awed by this parked MINI with all manner of flashy trim. We thought it was some kind of upgrade package similar to a John Cooper Works, but it seems it was just a goofy guy sticking on fancy decals and badges in an attempt to fool others into believing that this was a new generation MINI. He got our attention.
A Return to Greyfriars BobbyA Return to Greyfriars Bobby
A Return to Greyfriars Bobby

My night picture of another fake, this time a pseudo-gravesite, came out much better at night than the day.
I Should Send This in to the Travel ChannelI Should Send This in to the Travel Channel
I Should Send This in to the Travel Channel

I love watching this hokey ghost travelogues on the Travel Channel every Friday. The investigators ooh and awe over the slightest sound on a tape or blur on their camera shot. Here we decided to get a close-up night time gander of what is supposedly the most haunted spot in Britain - the site of the prison where hundreds of Covenenters, men refusing to accept the king as the head of the church, were interred and died. Most starved, some died of the elements, many were hanged and some were simply shot by guards for the most minor of reasons, such as moving in their sleep. If any place should be haunted I suppose this it. Ooooooh! See those white flashes in the background?
Eerie DearieEerie Dearie
Eerie Dearie

Walking through a graveyard at night is so peaceful.
Eenie Meenie Chili Beanie, the Spirits Are About to Speak.Eenie Meenie Chili Beanie, the Spirits Are About to Speak.
Eenie Meenie Chili Beanie, the Spirits Are About to Speak.

"Most Haunted" or "Ghost Adventures" would take this photo an offer it as proof that astral entities were flitting all over the cemetery. And here I just thought it was the flash of my camera bouncing off all those big wet snowflakes.
The George Heriot School at NightThe George Heriot School at Night
The George Heriot School at Night

Better known as Hogwarts Academy, this is the large impressive edifice we saw from atop Edinbugh Castle Hill. From the school's website: "For 350 years George Heriot’s School has served as one of Scotland’s most distinguished schools. Today, it flourishes as an independent co-educational day school. Children between 3 and 18, from in and around the city of Edinburgh, form a vibrant school community. Together with staff, parents, governors, alumni, and friends, Heriot’s pupils hold true to the vision of Founder George Heriot."
It Looked Cooler in PersonIt Looked Cooler in Person
It Looked Cooler in Person

I think a tripod and a long exposure might have rescued this attempt at capturing both the gravestones and the Academy in the background. Next time.
More of Those GhostiesMore of Those Ghosties
More of Those Ghosties

We did a lot of aimless walking around in Greyfriars graveyard. We kept hoping to find an exit at the backend of the property, but all gates were locked.
St. Giles Cathedral at NightSt. Giles Cathedral at Night
St. Giles Cathedral at Night

On the return to our hotel the snow continued to fall heavily. Even though we weren't planning to start driving until two days hence, after seeing how they tended to the streets and roads in town, I was afraid of what we might find out in the countryside if this turned into a protracted storm. By now water droplets had found their way onto my lens and actually made for a more interesting shot.



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0237s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb