Edinburgh: No Travels this week...


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
February 3rd 2008
Published: February 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Walking in EdinburghWalking in EdinburghWalking in Edinburgh

Just some street action.
Greetings everyone!
This week went by really fast! The whole "being here to study thing" is finally kicking in. 2 essays and an assignment due in a few weeks, the "I'm on vacation" buzz is slightly dampened, but still there! This week I went with several friends to different pub quizzes at various pubs throughout the week. A pub quiz is basically trivia pursuit, except that we are on teams, there is drinking involved, and in many circumstances, there is a cash prize. It's really fun, but the questions can be impossible, especially during the sports section, where they focus on Football (soccer) and other sports like cricket and squash. It's loads of fun though. My Scottish History Tutorial went to the Museum of Scotland for a field trip on Wednesday. We looked at various dioramas and displays featuring 16-17th style living and displays featuring the different religious revolutions that occurred in Scotland during this time as well.
This weekend me and some friends went to the Museum of Childhood. It was interesting, it seemed to me to be like a big sociology project. It had tons of toys from the early 1800s up through the present. The greatest part was
Walking in EdinburghWalking in EdinburghWalking in Edinburgh

A christmas store.
the gift shop, there were tons of toys that we could play with. It was funny because there was an ironically mean cashier woman who really didn't like anyone playing with the toys.
After the museum we went for tea at a tearoom, the teahouse boasted the best scones in the UK and they really were. We were told to eat the scones like so: 1) break off a small part of the biscuit 2) smear some butter on the top, 3) spread some jam/jelly on top of the butter, 4) but a dollop of sweet whipped cream on top and enjoy. It tastes amazing! Tea was followed by a walk down the Royal Mile (High Street) and eventually ended at blockbuster where we rented Babel. It was really depressing.
On Sunday, I went to a friend's birthday dinner at a Thai restaurant which was really tasty.
This week should be fun too! For my social history class I have to go to Haddington, which is about a 30 min bus ride out or Edinburgh, for a quasi-field trip to an ancient town. That should be fun, and I also am starting to plan what my family is going to
Walking in EdinburghWalking in EdinburghWalking in Edinburgh

Interesting Building
do when they come over for my birthday next week. Any who, that's pretty much all I've done this week, thanks for reading!



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Playing at the gift shop. Playing at the gift shop.
Playing at the gift shop.

We got yelled at for playing with masks like these... we couldn't resist trying them on.
SheepSheep
Sheep

Funny child stool that is a sheep... adorable.


4th February 2008

OMG
that is a dame edna mask you're wearing. Have you ever seen her? HILARIOUS!
5th February 2008

Glad the studying thing is kicking in!
Sounds like a nice weekend! Seems like you're really immersing in school. Glad you're thinking about studying, too! (spoken like a true mom.) Love this blog. It's just like being there with you. I can't wait to be there with you ON VACATION!! It will be very fun.
5th February 2008

Brrrrrr here in the Midwest!
Maxwell Smart, good thing you are having a terrific time in Scotland and are NOT in Iowa right now! We are having a doozy of a winter storm, stuff is closing down everywhere, it's just winter in Iowa and you know how that can suck. Wish I was where you are! Sounds like you are having a great time. Stuff you'll remember forever! (Or at least until your Alzheimer's kicks in in another 60 years or so.....) : ) Don't forget to go to a haunted castle while you are there!
11th February 2008

Max, Really enjoying your blog. I am asking Lynda and your mother to buy you a few pints for me on your birthday and to toast in my behalf. Wish I could be there. Have a great time and Happy 21st to you in advance. Jerry in freezing Ohio!

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb