Partying it up in Edinburgh!!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
July 16th 2007
Published: July 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hellooooooooooooo everyone!! :0)

Greetings from Scotland!!! Josie and I have been having a great time in the UK, and hopefully the fun will continue through the rest of Europe! We have only been gone for a week, and have already visited London, Bath, Stratford-Upon-Avon, Leeds, and Edinburgh. Tonight is our last night in Edinburgh, and we are off tomorrow morning to Glasgow.

It seems like we have done an awful lot, however the time is going by at a good pace. We haven't been too rushed for time, overall. Bath is an incredibly beautiful city, and a great place to visit. We shared a room there with 10 other people, and ended up making friends with a couple of them. We took a really funny comedy walk through the city, which I enjoyed a lot, and then did a day trip to Stonehenge the next day. We took a bus tour to Stonehenge with Andrew, a world traveler from Sydney, Australia, and Joaquin, from Texas. It was a great trip and lots of laughs! We also visited the small village of Lacock on our tour, and it was quite interesting. Stonehenge was impressive, and we got lots of great pictures, though it surprised us how close to the road it is! There are people that drive past this Wonder of the World to get to work... Strange...

Stratford-Upon-Avon was really interesting, especially for me. Our first night there, Josie and I went to see a production of Macbeth at the Swan Theatre and although our seats weren't great, the play was very cool. It was a little different than I had expected, but still fun. The next day we went exploring and saw Anne Hathaway's Cottage, Shakespeare's Birthplace, and the Holy Trinity Church where he is buried.

In Leeds we went to see the University, which was really big and very nice. The campus is pretty, and was very quiet since we were there on a Sunday. They have renovated some old churches to buildings where you can study, and even turned one into a nightclub called Halo (a little sacreligious, if you ask me...).

Now, we are in Edinburgh and Scotland is pretty awesome. I would love to have more time here to explore and take tours and whatnot. Last night, Josie and I went on this crazy walking tour around St. Giles Cathedral and through what they call "the vaults", which are supposedly haunted. We heard lots of ghost stories, from our very enthusiastic guide, Adam, and were a little bit scared to be honest... But it was quite a cool experience!! I really enjoyed it, definitely worth the 8 pounds.

Afterwards we went looking for a club we had seen advertised on a poster in our hostel, called The Citrus Club. It is a reggae bar, not far from where we are staying. When we got there the place was EMPTY!! Only one guy, dancing by himself! lol We had a couple of drinks and decided to wait it out, and things did pick up a little... By the time we left just before close (at 3:00 am) there were maybe a dozen people there. VERY different atmosphere from the bars at home!! But we did dance it up a lot, nonetheless, and actually had an ok time.

Today we went shopping for awhile, walked the Royal Mile, and visited Edinburgh Castle!! The castle is amazing, and gives you a great view of the city. We took lots of pictures, don't worry!! :0) After we're done here (at an internet cafe around the corner from our hostel) we are getting ready for a pub crawl. It should be lots of fun, we are excited!!

Tomorrow we head to Glasgow, then it will be off to Ireland...

Hope that all is well at home and that everyone is having a fun summer!!! We will keep you posted as the trip progresses... Ciao for now!!! :0)

Love, Katie & Josie

Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb