King Tut's Wah Wah Hut


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Lanarkshire » Glasgow » West End
September 11th 2011
Published: September 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Note: Since I've become lazy with blogging due to internet troubles and how much cooler going out and experiencing things in Glasgow are than sitting in my room hooked to a computer, this blog will cease to be in any particular order.

King Tut's Wah Wah Hut looks like any of the apartments surrounding it from the outside. The sign is easy to miss, and though it boasts itself as the "UK's best live music venue," it is certainly a very humble looking establishment. Walking down a flight of stairs to enter below street level, you walk into a bar, a small amount of tables for the food they presumable serve during the day, and a pool table. The real magic happens when you walk through the bar room to the back where there are the bathrooms and a set of double doors. Through those doors there is a flight of stairs that starts at 1990 and continues upwards through every consecutive year and highlights some of the artists that played there that year. 1993 boasts both Radiohead and Oasis. Continuing up the stairs I noticed such names as The Verve, Stone Temple Pilots, Muse, Coldplay, Franz Ferdinand, Beck, The Strokes, Snow Patrol, Florence and the Machine, Mumford and Sons, and many others. All very well known names now, these steps are impressive.

The best thing about King Tut's Wah Wah Hut is that it is a tiny venue. Last night we saw a band called Thrum, with Warren McIntyre and the Parsonage as openers, and we easily got in the front row, no pushing or jostling required. I had never heard of any of the bands playing but they were all fantastic! Warren McIntyre opened and featured his friend Heather on violin, Chas on trumpet, himself on guitar, and Chad(?) on drums. Some of his lyrics were a little corny but overall very relatable and super heartfelt. He was also a very funny guy. The Parsonage on next was a large ensemble resembling a church choir, accompanied by a guitar/hamonica player. My favorite number of theirs was a much different, really cool rendition of Great Balls of Fire. Finally Thrum was the headliner. They were all older, and apparently their debut album was out in 1994, so they have been around for a while. The lead singer/ guitarist, Monica, had a great voice, really soulful and beautiful at the same time. She was accompanied by Ian on bass, Gary on drums, and John on guitar. They played a great show, and their encore in which they were accompanied by the Parsonage choir left a lasting impression that had us all cheering and high-fiving total strangers at the end. I will certainly be returning as soon as I can. A quality night of live music for only 12 pounds. What more could you ask for?!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0508s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb