St Kilda Expedition


Advertisement
Published: July 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Lochmaddy to Taransay


View from Taransay TopView from Taransay TopView from Taransay Top

It might be calm in the bay but it's howling up here!
After sheltering in Lochmaddy Harbour overnight we headed to sea in an attempt to arrive off Taransay, the south west coast of Harris. We didn't get very far before the high wind and heavy swell confirmed our captain Mark's thoughts of a very rough ride. So we returned to Lochmaddy jetty rather than dropping anchor in the bay. The main ferry from Skye would not arrive until later, enabling colleagues to walk around Lochmaddy, seeing otters enjoying themselves as they strolled around the headland.

Unfortunately, I couldn't join them as I was having a severe reaction to the Canna Clegg bites of yesterday consumption of a large dose of antihistamine tablets borrowed from Anne. To prove Mark's decision, a Stornoway-based fishing crew tied up along side us, unable to fish owing to the horrendous seas on the west side of the Outer Hebrides.

After another night tied up we headed 10 June for the Sound of Harris and Taransay - rather choppy en route but pleasantly calm at anchor in Taransay Bay!!

By lunchtime the weather improved and some of us walked to the top of Taransay, enjoying the fabulous sunny view over to Harris.

In the
Taransay BayTaransay BayTaransay Bay

Hjalmar Bjorge is anchored on the right
Panoramic photo above, the Hjalmar Bjorge is anchored on the right.

Lindsay, one of our crew gave us some great after-dinner entertainment with a range of fiddle tunes.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.188s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 7; ; mem: 1.1mb