St Kilda (work party 3) June 2006 Day 14


Advertisement
Published: June 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

The longest day and the storm was decreasing but it was still wild, the sea was rough and running a swell.I was on kitchen duty with Kerry for the day.After breakfast I was met by a Petrel Head who was asking for help to carry their Zodiac inflatable to the slipway, as the people on Dun had taken a right battring during the night.They were reduced to one tent,having lost 3 and they had no dry clothing.An attempt was to be made to lift them off, with no proper landing place it is a dangerous operation even in good weather.
Dave, the base manager was livid when he found out,as he has overalll responsibility for the Islands and would not allow the operation to take place.He informed the coastguard in Stornoway of the situation and it was decided to airlift the Petrel Heads from Dun back to Hirta, as a severe gale force 9 was forecast.
Before long the rescue helicopter was overhead and the whole population of Hirta lined the shore to watch the spectacle,armed with cameras and binoculars.After an orange flare had been dropped from the chopper to check the wind speed and direction 2 lifts were made brining back 7 people to the safety of the base,...quite a drama.It was all rather sureal, as by this time, although it was still windy,we had clear blue skies,this was the "window" the forecasters promised before the next gale.Later, in the showers I met Liz,one of those rescued,she said they were all cold and suffering, especially when they could not get the stove lit so rescue was the prudent course.
I took a walk over to Ruival but first had to wait for the base helicopter to clear the area as they had used the weather "window" to relieve the crew who had been unable to changeover due to the recent weather.So it was goodbye to Dave,Greg,Cliff,Colin,Maureen,Mary-Rose and Susan Bain....safe journey.
Up on Ruival I checked the eider ducks nest out ,they had gone but on closer instection I found them not far away,the mother and her 2 chicks ready to make the perilous way down to the sea.
Back at the kitchen it was time for us all to take the team photos for which Kenny from the base had been hired.After dinner I wandered around the village taking lots of photos as I was beginning to realise that we were nearly at the end of our stay and all that I would have would be photos,a diary and memories.
After such an eventfull day it was time to go to the Puffin and meet the new crew that had arrived earlier.Although it was only early evening the new arrivals had wasted no time in gettting stuck into to the booze, as a couple of them were already out of their trees and were a bit vociferous to say the least but this is their domain and we are only visitors.The new manager had been keeping his eye on the weather and had called the Elektron landing off so the bar was kept open.
Part of the bases recreational pursuits is sheep throwing (not the real thing!) a plywood cut out is hurled as far as possible, the furthest throw being the winner (so simple) the orignal being lost or broken,Martin had made a new one in the workshop and presented it in the bar to Kenny on behalf of the team.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0547s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb