St Kilda (work party 3) June 2006 Day 2


Advertisement
Published: February 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day 2
An early rise and shine saw us all down at the jetty loading "The Orca" for 7.20am having prepared and eaten our breakfast."The Orca" is a 42ft motor cruiser specially built for the St Kilda run which can take 12 passengers at 20 knots and is skippered by Angus who fished for lobster and crab for many years around Harris and St Kilda.
After leaving the shelter of the small isles off Harris we were soon into open water where the sea became a little choppy and we all settled down where we felt most comfortable,I took my stance at the rear, in the open, as my sea legs are not particularly good.
Soon all sight of land was lost, even though the weather was good and the visibility was clear,eyes were straining for our first glimpse of the archipeligo that is St Kilda.Looming on the horizon vague shapes soon became bold outlines until eventually Angus eased the throttle back and we glided into village bay after some 4hrs.
Dropping anchor some way off the jetty "The Orca" bobbed up and down on the swell whilst the tender was lowered and instructions given for disembarkation.On the jetty work party2 were bidding their farewells and preparing to take our place for the return journey.
We were met by the St Kilda ranger Jon Easton and his staff, Sarah Money-St Kilda Sea Bird and Marine Ranger along with Samantha Dennis- St Kilda Archaeologist ,who gave us a brief do's and dont's talk about the fragile eco-system and bio-security of the island.
All stores and luggage had to be transported up to the crofts which were to be our home for the ensuing 2 weeks and we were grateful that the boys from the radar base gave us a lift with their fork lift to "Red Square" It was whilst we were doing this that someone spotted a Basking Shark for the first time in 4 years swimming just off the shore, enjoying the clear water and sunny day.
David our cook made sure all the provisons were safely accounted for (no popping down to Tesco if anything was forgotten!!) and stored in croft 2, before preparing an excellent fish soup and salad.The ladies and gents then went to their respective dormatories (crofts 2 & 4) to unpack and claim their beds for the next fortnight!
The sea looked so inviting that it had to be tried.Alice, myself and Martin all took the plunge whilst Tina had a paddle but I don't think I have ever been in such cold water!! it was freeeeeezing... but at least we did it!!
It was now time for Hugh to take us on our first walk on "Hirta" (as the main island is called) After a look at the ruined crofts we went around the bay and onto Ruival for fine panoramic views of Village Bay,the gap over to the Isle of Dun and the pounding surf crashing against the rocks.It was here that we first came across the Eider Duck sitting on her nest high above the sea.
A leisurely walk back for dinner at croft 1 (the "nerve center" of all that it happening on work parties) after which we all ajourned for our first encounter at "The Puffinn"
I had heard about "The Puffinn" in accounts I had read about the island and I was more than a little taken aback went I went for the first time.In my mind I had imagined a small bar in the corner of a Portakabin where maybe the odd can of beer could be purchased from a volunteer barman not the full blown lounge-bar with a full-time barman,(Greg sporting a Bow-tie!!) that is the case,however it was more than welcome for the odd nightcap!!! and the prices left me speechless!

.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb