HILL WALKING


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Inverness-shire » Loch Ness
July 25th 2010
Published: August 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

On our last few days in Loch Ness the bad weather started to set in again. On a cold morning nothing sets you up for the day better than a cooked breakfast. Andy polished this off no problem, Scottish style with black pudding and haggis. Unfortunately the breakfast did not keep Andy going for long because later that day on our drive along the other side of Loch Ness I saw a mountain which just had to be climbed. Andy declined and sat in the comfort of the car while I went alone. (note from Andy - “I was too full to go climbing“) I have to say he really missed out! Even though it was misty and spitting with rain my reward for climbing this wet and muddy mountain was stunning views of distant lochs shrouded in spooky mist which sat surrounded by mountains that towered so far above the meagre hill I had climbed that they almost disappeared behind the clouds.

Once back at the car we continued on our journey to The Falls of Foyers which Robert Burns immortalised a poem. We had seen many small waterfalls on our journey around Scotland but this really was something else. This is a spectacular 140ft waterfall by which the River Foyers drops into a gorge leading to Loch Ness. After a long walk through the woods we made our way back home feeling that we had really earned our evening beer.

The weather didn’t get any better and was forecast to get much worse towards the west of Scotland. We had planned to go to the Isle of Skye next but decided to alter our plans once we realised that our whole week there would be spoilt with torrential rain. We spent our last day at Loch Ness trying to find a site on the east side of Scotland which could take us at such short notice. This is not the easiest thing to do during the summer holiday period. It turned out that we were leaving at just the right time. Some of our neighbours decided to turn their stereo to maximum and began rocking out to some of the worst rock music that the 80’s had to offer and this continued for the whole day.

So I’m sure you are still wondering if we saw Nessie on our visit ……. Well I’ll let you decide for yourself!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.31s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 15; qc: 71; dbt: 0.109s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb