Backblog #6.4 - Isle of Skye to Ullapool


Advertisement
Published: February 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Isle of Skye to Ullapool


Isle of Skye to Ullapool



Upon waking up on the Isle of Skye the next morning, the lovely lady at Oisgill House, our charming little B&B, made us breakfast and told us about a lighthouse not far from there that is a popular sightseeing point. Intrigued we asked her where it was and how to get there - we opted to drive, even though she said it was walkable.

So after our breakfast we packed our stuff, rugged up nice and toasty warm (well, we were warm until we got outside!) and trudged to the car to pack up for another day. The drive from the B&B to the lighthouse wasn't far, but we were glad we didn't walk cause it was quite windy by the time we got there.

It was incredible. Neist Lighthouse is on Neist Point overlooking the sea between Isle of Skye and the Outer Hebrides. We parked and got out and started what we thought would be a quick look...wrong. We had to first walk down a hill, in the freezing gale, past a dead sheep (sorry, no photos of that) and then a long a long path that lead to the lighthouse. We couldn't go in the lighthouse because it is privately owned or something (operated from a central point in Edinburgh) but we could walk around the point, being careful not to get blown over the edge into the ocean.

It turns out that we spent a good while taking photos, making rock piles (there were heaps made by others previously so we made one as well) and just generally soaking in the amazingness of Scotland!

We left, some what colder then when we got there, and headed away to sadly leave the beautiful Isle of Skye. We left the island a different way to what we came, over a bridge, and had lunch when we got to mainland Scotland at a place called Kyle of Lochalsh.We headed up further still into the Scottish Highlands, ever-watching for Highland cows (none yet sadly) and passed Loch Maree - a stunning loch that had been recommended to us by the lady who ran the B&B in Fort William. We walked up a track that led to Victoria Falls and then up to a lookout that overlooked Loch Maree. More photos and a lot of 'oooh's and 'ahhhh's later and we left
THE treeTHE treeTHE tree

The one I trudged through mud and puddles for!
to head up through Poolewe.

As with the other Scottish Backblogs we didn't do heaps on the drive between places other than take photos and drink tea/coffee and eat sandwiches. I do remember Mum thinking that the pine trees were nice, seeing one somewhere off in the distance off on the side of the road that she thought was cute and asking me to take a photo (I had told her to tell me what to take photos of so that she didn't have to worry about it and could just enjoy the scenery). So, being the obliging son that I am, I waited for Emma to park the car, for Clare to stop saying 'Oh, Brenda, really?' and then got out and trudged through the mud and puddles to take the photo. Mum kept telling me that I was at the wrong tree, but eventually I found the one. I took the photo, went back to the car and found out that she didn't think the tree was that great actually. I think this was actually before we had even left the island actually...

After Loch Maree we drove past Little Loch Broom and just plain Loch Broom and finally reached our destination of Ullapool. It was quite a long trip with all the stopping for pictures added in, but also because in the Highlands the roads don't just go straight there but rather wind around mountains and lochs - plus, we took the scenic route on purpose. But we got there, that's what matters!

Ok, while many of these places have somewhat ridiculous names, they have somewhat (or more often more than somewhat) fantastic views and are lovely places. Ullapool is a small little fishing-style town with a population of 1,300 (according to Wikipedia) - the type of place where they probably no everybody and can spot a tourist like us just from the sound of the car straining under the weight of our luggage.

We had a bit of trouble finding the B&B because it was on two roads (one for the back door and one for the front) but we found it, dropped off our stuff and told them we would be back later. With smalls towns it is easy to look around - this one had a walk along the water front of Loch Broom and not heaps else. A great place to relax! Clare bought us dinner at a local restaurant (plus side of small towns is that there aren't often chain restaurants or McDonald's'!) and we went for a wander and had a look in some shops and then headed back to the B&B.

I remember the B&B was lovely, but that the shower head was quite low with a stupid operating mechanism that didn't make a whole heap of sense to this foreigner. A good night's sleep later and we were ready to head off for our next leg!

Paul


Additional photos below
Photos: 47, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Across from our Skye B&BAcross from our Skye B&B
Across from our Skye B&B

The view when we left in the morning!
Mum & IMum & I
Mum & I

I thoroughly enjoyed her stay!


16th February 2011

thanks
Dear Paul and Emma, I have opened this one ok. I tried for a long time yesterday but decided that because Clare rang earlier yesterday telling me that she and Lisa H. are heading your way in August it was best I could not open any of your blogs because my saddness about not being able to go was bad. I would have been lots worse if I'd sat drooling over all your pics and diary. Our money is a bit tight at the moment owing to paying the rent! Seems high but is the same as everyone else. I sent one blog to Doug Israel. He is as mad as a hatter and very entertaining these days! 18 yrs old now!!!!! Dion is grade 8. love, mumxxoo
16th February 2011

no loo
I do remember at the Isle of Skye lighthouse there was not a toilet to be found! Such a great place. Thankfully there was one a few kms down the road.
26th February 2011

Loos
Yeah, I remember that now too! The cold wind didn't help that problem either! :) Paul
5th March 2011

Lovely trip and photos
Thanks for charing your trip and photos. Going to Skye next summer and looking for tips here..

Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0569s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb