Over the Water to Skye


Advertisement
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day 6: Thurs, May 3rd

This post has lots of pictures because we saw so much amazing scenery!!

After breakfast we checked out and hit the road again. We drove ‘The Road to the Isles’ to Mallaig. This is supposed to be one of the most scenic drives in the world. It was really pretty, going along the ocean at some parts. At Malliag we took the 11am ferry over to The Isle of Skye….As soon as we got to Skye I was taken with it. The landscape is so unchanged and dramatic. We drove the road on the sleat peninsula through Broadford on to Portree, the only real town on Skye. I got a kick out of seeing welcome signs for a town, that only has about 2 homes in it. We got to Portree at about noon, and walked around the town a little bit and had lunch and checked into our Hotel. This place was expensive, but you don’t have many options on Skye. At least we had a great view of the water from our room.

Soon, after we jumped back in our car to explore the island. First stop was Dunvegan Castle, at
Another pretty Loch
Dunvegan. It’s been the home to the clan MacLeod for 8 centuries. It’s a really cool Castle, but a bit overpriced for what you actually get to see. Although ‘The Fairy Flag’ (a flag of silk, that’s a couple thousand years old) is a really interesting relic. We only spent a short time here. From here we drove to Uig, up the west coast, and from Uig we took the road across the island to Staffin, which crosses the Quiraing.

This is exactly what I was wanting to see in Scotland. It was a tiny one-lane road with sheep crossing everywhere. We parked on a hill-top, from where you can hike to the Quiraing (a famous rock formation). OMG, is all I can say. OMG, the scenery was so majestic here. Mountains covered in every shade of green. We hiked up to the Quiraing. Not too strenuous, but scary at parts, because you are right on a ledge of the mountain a lot of it. But the views were worth it. We just sat there forever drinking in the views. Afterwards we drove from Staffin back to Portree. Another amazing drive. The land is so unchanged. You can easily
The Ocean
imagine the Norsemen or the Vikings coming along the shores here.

Later that evening we had dinner at The Isles Inn in Portree. And I tried to put the local single malt whiskey, Talisker, in Coke, and they made it very clear I couldn’t do that! But, I did try it solo. It was too strong for me!




Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb