Inverness


Advertisement
Published: May 31st 2015
Edit Blog Post

13thMay



Amble to Inverness – 227nm



Wow, big double nighter!! Actually got into the routine of the 3 hr watches fairly quickly and by the 2nd night wasn't even tired. For quite a while after we left Amble, we had puffins and seals in the water, to keep us amused. The puffins really make me laugh when they try to take off. They must have a funny body weight to wing span ratio, so always takes great effort to actually get airborne. One poor little critter, was flapping his wings, peddling his little feet on the ocean surface with all his might.....only to hit head first into (admittedly rather a large) wave. Instead of flying out of the way, he then decided to duck-dive!! Also saw a few dolphins – big dark grey ones. Most of the time we were quite a fair distance from the coast so crab pots weren't such an issue on our night passages. Fortunately, we were off Peterhead during daylight hours where there were heaps of pots and ships to avoid (even more fortunately, Phil was on watch at this time!!) Once we rounded the corner of Rattery Head, the seas calmed and I really enjoyed the passage from her on in to Inverness. We seemed to have current all the way with us, then, we also had the right current to lead us in to Inverness, can't do it on an outgoing tide!!



The marina at Inverness is about a 20min walk from the city centre and is out in the Industrial area. No matter – it was nice to have a walk each day.



16th: Visit from Abbie and Chris



17th: Visit from Scotty



Both drove nearly 3 hrs from down south just to come up for lunch and a catch up, was great to see them again!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb