Eurotrip 2009 - Day 4


Advertisement
Published: July 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Breakfast at youth hostelBreakfast at youth hostelBreakfast at youth hostel

Enjoying free breakfast

Scotland!


12/05/2009



O what a beautiful morning! O what a beautiful day! You know the rest of the song! We woke up at 7h00 this morning, and the sun was already shining. We still have no idea what time it get’s dark since we fell asleep at 23h00 and it was still dawnish outside!! We both saw Nessie today, but not at the same time and was too stunned to take any pictures, but we will try again tonight. Once again the view from the room is spectacular!

After breakfast we’re off to do our first official castle tour! Surrounded on 3 sides by water Urquhart Castle must be one of the most beautiful ruins in Scotland despite its bloody history. Walking through the enchanting castle you can’t help but wonder about the lifestyles of the Scottish clans of ages ago.

From the castle we’re off too Inverness. Inverness Castle was at one stage held by the Gordon Clan (Leon’s ancestors) before it was conquered by Mary Queen of Scott’s, who then hanged the Gordon that refused her entry to the Castle. Inverness-shire stole Melinda’s heart. The River Ness running through town has clean
Urquhart CastleUrquhart CastleUrquhart Castle

A truly amazing view over the Loch Ness
blue water and because it’s spring time the banks of the river and all around the old city the walkways were covered with pink blossoms. The fresh breeze was wonderfully crisp and Melinda decided that one of her dreams will be to run a little boutique hotel near the river banks.

We visited St Andrew’s Cathedral and since this is not a real tourist attraction had to knock on the doors, the priest then unlocked the doors and requested we switch our mobiles off and respect the Holiness of the place while we looked around. This is by far the most beautiful Cathedral we have ever seen, and it had a different feel to it than any of the others. You can’t help but respect the people for their dedication to their religion.

After our walk around the town it was time for lunch, Melinda’s food is not even worth mentioning since Leon did the daring thing and had traditional Haggis. Haggis is eaten with Tatties (mashed potatoes) and Neeps (turnip or swede). Haggis is a traditional Scottish dish. There are many recipes, most of which have in common the following ingredients: sheep's 'pluck' (heart, liver and lungs), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and traditionally boiled in the animal's stomach for approximately three hours. Nice isn’t it? Well according to Leon and most other people is actually nice and has a similar taste to biltong.

We visited the Loch Ness Centre that is quite informative and has got lots of details on how the rumors started and all the searches that were conducted to find the monster. We would not recommend it to visitors that will only be in Scotland for a short time.



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Some heavy liftingSome heavy lifting
Some heavy lifting

Lift with your knees, not your back!
Urquhart Castle from another angleUrquhart Castle from another angle
Urquhart Castle from another angle

We had the perfect weather for taking pics
Leon on the stepsLeon on the steps
Leon on the steps

Stating the obvious again!
Loch Ness CentreLoch Ness Centre
Loch Ness Centre

For the history of the loch and searches for the monster
InvernessInverness
Inverness

River Ness and the cathedral in the back
Cathedral courtyardCathedral courtyard
Cathedral courtyard

flowers everywhere
Leon on the bridgeLeon on the bridge
Leon on the bridge

Inverness Castle in the back
HaggisHaggis
Haggis

with neeps and tatties of course


13th July 2009

Do the SA thing!
Leon should do the South African thing and put in a land claim on Inverness Castle! According to the South African constitution it belongs to you damn it!

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb