On the Road Through The Highlands


Advertisement
Published: June 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Main Road in ScotlandMain Road in ScotlandMain Road in Scotland

That's right the road is just wide enough for one cars... ours.
First of all a general obeservation: Driving over here is a breeze... speed up when people are crossing the road, pull off to the side so oncomming traffic can make it by you(on public roads) and and dammit stay on the left hand side of the road (unless you're parking of course, then it doesn't really matter).

So the last couple of days have be somewhat uneventfull... not at fault of ours, but mostly due to food or a virus(we're not sure which). On Friday, Brigid, Skye (Brigid's baby), Jelna (Brigid's Mom), Michelle and I went into Aberdeen for a little tour around and some lunch (John had to work). We then went back to Brigid and John's house for a relaxing evening in front of the TV. On Saturday Michelle and I went to go pick up everyone but Bridgid had come down with something overnight so Michelle , Jelna and I went off to the Highland Games in Cornhill about 20 miles away. It was pretty cool(in this case both meanings take effect), you had the girls doing the highland dancing, all the heavy sports like hammer throw, rock toss(Shot put) and of course the caber toss. The highlight for me was the Tug of War. Man, do these guys get into it. They have uniforms, special boots, coaches, rosin for the hands.. One guy even pulled so hard he hurt himself; needed to call an ambulance. After that we dropped off Jelna and went back to our B&B, and that's when my fun started... I felt a little queasy in the afternoon, but by 8 o'clock... barf-o-rama. I slept pretty crappy, but did manage to get up drive us 7 miles to Fyvie castle (which was pretty interesting) and then back to the B&B. Along the way we stopped a couple of times so I could take a nap(for hours at a time). Today I felt much better, and we we're off to Inverness after one last visit to Brigid and Skye. Along the way we stopped at Glenfiddich Distillery and took part in their tour.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Tug of WarTug of War
Tug of War

Here's the team and the big fat guy is the coach... he was more into it that the team
Special BootsSpecial Boots
Special Boots

There were several different kinds of boots... these where hockey skate boots without the blades... others were using what looked like a down hill ski boot.
Fyvie CastleFyvie Castle
Fyvie Castle

Contruction of this castle started in 1390 and was added onto over the years. The last addition was in 1890.


Tot: 0.267s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0605s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb