Heading South


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Inverness-shire » Inverness
September 1st 2008
Published: December 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Just a quick one before we head from Inverness to Aberdeen.

The Orkneys were amazing! Definately the highlight of the trip so far. We stayed in Stromness for 5 nights and just cruised around enjoying the slow lifestyle. It was my kind of place with local produce everywhere; we had Orkney cheese, bread, ice cream, vegetables, beer, haggis and everything else under the sun. We did get some family research done there and found out some interesting stuff but didn't find any gravestones or anything as I guess they were a pretty poor lot back then. The best thing we did though was rent bikes for a day to go check out the farm on which they lived in Mousland, just north of Stromness. We checked out an old derelict stone building that was likely the house they lived at in 1851 according to the census. It was very cool to see that and just bike around the country which really hasn't changed much over the years. Lots of great pictures to come!

Now we're heading off on our long journey to the Mediterranean and we could not be happier. Can't wait to actually see the sun for the first time in months. It's 29 degrees in Almeria right now so we'll let you know how that feels after all this rain!

Later,
Alex and Jay

Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 18; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0797s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb