Look out Nessie. Here we come!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Inverness-shire » Inverness
December 13th 2006
Published: December 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi all,
We have been in Inverness since last night - well about 3:30 pm yesterday, which is actually after sunset, so technically it's night!

Our accomodation here is not quite as nice as in Edinburgh. We have a private twin room, but have to share a bathroom (next door) with a few other rooms, but haven't had to wait to use it yet. In Edinburgh, we stayed in a newly refurbished hostel, so all the fittings were almost brand new and our private triple room had an ensuite bathroom and a little table and chairs to sit at.

We wanted to go to the Inverness Museum and Art Gallery today as it was raining lightly but steadily in the morning and looked as though it would continue all day (it did!). When we arrived there it was closed, so we spent about 2 hours looking at all the brochures and souvenirs in the Tourist Information Centre and booking a Loch Ness Tour and Cruise for tomorrow. Then we braved the rain and walked down to the River Ness and across the footbridge. The water was flowing out to sea very very fast and it looked very brown but clear not muddy. We have bought breakfast and dinner at the hostels most days so far which has worked out well. Continental breakfasts are around £3 and a 2 course dinner has been £6 - 8. We have been able to share these meals so far which is good since neither Caitlin nor I are very big eaters.

Travelling wth the Britrail pass has been a breeze and very enjoyable too. We haven't been charged any reservation fees yet (I was expecting £8 per reservation), the trains are very clean, modern and comfortable, and they have all run on time so far. We have been lucky enough to get seats facing 2 other seats with a small table between them on all train trips so far and to also be facing the direction of travel. The countryside is so green and lush - such a contrast to back home before we left. We have passed throught lots of gorgeous villages and towns with quaint stone cottages and churches and on the trip from Edinburgh to Inverness travelled along rugged coastline looking out over the North Sea - just stunning scenery. It looked quite rough, but not as rough as I have heard it can be. We also saw lots of farms, with the usual sheep, cows, pigs and even some deer! Caitlin didn't see the deer though because she was asleep!

Our internet time is running out, so we'd better say goodbye now,

Patrice & Caitlin

Advertisement



Tot: 0.187s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1354s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb