St. Andrews


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Fife » Saint Andrews
May 25th 2005
Published: May 25th 2005
Edit Blog Post

St AndrewsSt AndrewsSt Andrews

A view of the coast at St. Andrews from the castle.
I went to Scotland over the Easter Holiday for 5 nights and 6 days. I took the train from Chester to lovely St. Andrews Scotland, where I met my friend Laura who attends St. Andrews University. The university was founded in 1403 and is the 3rd oldest in Britain, so St Andrews was a college town almost a century before Columbus sailed the Atlantic, and it looks it. It is a gorgeous little town built almost entirely out of grey stone, and it has the ruins of a castle and a massive cathedral.
About half of the population of the town St. Andrews is comprised of university students, and half of those are American females. This is surprising for a British university except when you consider the “Prince Factor.” Prince William attends St. Andrews, and as a result it felt a little like I was in the twilight zone. Walking around the tiny Scottish town I was surrounded by Abercrombie-wearing, nasal-accented American female college students. For having to put up with all of them for the weekend, I should have at least gotten to see the Prince but, alas, so sign of him.
The night I got there Laura and her
St Andrews UniversitySt Andrews UniversitySt Andrews University

One of the academic buildings at St Andrews
housemates were celebrating one of their 21st birthdays. We went to a rugby game and then later we went bowling and clubbing in Dundee, which is one of the biggest cities in Scotland. It was a very long and fun night but all I got to see of St Andrews was through a massive hangover the next day.
I did the tourist thing and went to the ruins of the castle and the cathedral. Laura and I also climbed St. Rule’s tower for a great view of the city, and then I went for a little wander around the town. It really is a quaint place with narrow medieval streets and tons of historic buildings, one of which had a thorn tree in front that was planted by Mary, Queen of Scots.
Can’t forget to mention that St. Andrew’s is the home of golf. Yes this is the place where someone first whacked a small ball into a hole with a stick. Actually, it is home of St. Andrews Links which is probably the most famous golf course in the world. It is old and scenic, situated right on the beach dunes around St. Andrews. The course set the standard for all golf courses in the world (the reason why you play 18 holes in golf is because this course consists of, you guessed it, 18 holes!) Beautiful.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0358s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb