Day 3 Dunfermline and Lochgelly


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Fife » Dunfermline
July 29th 2018
Published: July 31st 2018
Edit Blog Post

Dunfermline PalaceDunfermline PalaceDunfermline Palace

Tish with the ruin of Dunfermline Pakace where King Charles was born
We awoke refreshed on a rather cool Sunday morning and made our way up to Dunfermline Abbey and the Palace complex. We secured a car park near the children’s playground and walked to the Andrew Carnegie statue and then up High Street to the Abbey. It was a Sunday morning and there was a church service in the Abbey so visit to Robert the Bruce’s grave on this trip. We then visited Andrew Carnegie’s birth house and museum and left with a good sense of his upbringing and early experiences to be able to understand why he was so successful and At the same time benevolent. A couple of things we learned that stood out - his first ever investment was in a start up company which couriered documents and parcels on the new railway networks of which he was employed as a telegraph operator at the time. The company was called Railway Express and it is known today as American Express. The Parker Brothers game ”Monopoly” was invented in 1935 as a protest against Carnegie and John D Rockefeller.

After Dunfermline, we headed to Lochgelly and spent the rest of the day with Eleanor and Ricky catching up with
Dunfermline AbbeyDunfermline AbbeyDunfermline Abbey

Stain Glass Window in the old part of the Abbey
all the latest news of family members now spread far and wide around Scotland (and Belfast). Much of Lochgelly is still recognisable from 20 years ago but there does appear to be new housing developments popping up here and there. We visited the Lochgelly Cemetery and attempted to drill two small holes in the family headstone to install a plaque dedicated to Andres’s grandfather who is buried there however the solid granite headstone was formidable so we decided that a diamond drill should be sourced the next day to complete the job. In the evening, Ricky and Eleanor took us out to dinner at a restaurant in Dunfermline, a place where Andrew’s mother had frequented many times during her last trip to Scotland.

After dinner, we returned to Lochgelly


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Dunfermline AbbeyDunfermline Abbey
Dunfermline Abbey

“Robert the Bruce” on top of Dunfermline Abbey
Andrew Carnegie MuseumAndrew Carnegie Museum
Andrew Carnegie Museum

Tish outside of the Andrew Carnegie Museum


2nd August 2018

You Guys I love you
Love Love
3rd August 2018

How well we remember visiting Lochgelly and glad that you are catching up with family.

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb