By the bonny bonny banks of Loch Lomond


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Dunbartonshire » Loch Lomond
August 14th 2014
Published: October 16th 2014
Edit Blog Post

I'm not sure if we took the high road or the low road, but we enjoyed a lovely day out on the banks of Loch Lomond. It wasn't too far to drive from Glasgow, but many, many people had the same idea so the traffic was pretty bad in places.

Our first stop was the lovely village of Luss. There is a visitor centre where you can get all sorts of maps, leaflets and information. It is also a lovely place to stop for a picnic which is exactly what we did - and then we got soaked by a passing shower! The village itself is very pretty and the church is worth seeking out if only to amble around its ancient graveyard. Following a path at the back of the church we found ourselves on a trail around some woodlands and open fields. The enormous Celtic Cross was most impressive and there were some interesting placards along the way telling the story of the local area. There were also some pictures of religious centres from around the world which seemed a little incongruous. From Luss you can, if you wish, take a boat trip on or across the loch. That would be a very pleasant way to spend the day but we had the car and wanted to see more.

At the northerly end of the loch we turned left at the town of Tarbet. Then we followed the road along the banks of Loch Long. We stopped in a few places to see the old industrial landscape and admire the beautiful views. Loch Long was left behind as we travelled along Gare Loch, home to the Faslane naval base, which meant driving inland for a while. Where the loch meets the River Clyde we stopped at Helensburgh to stretch our legs. It was Trish's chance to do a bit of bird watching along the shore and there were a great many oystercatchers on show along with curlews and, of course, seagulls.

When the sun shines and the air is fresh, it's not difficult to see why people get addicted to visiting Scotland!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



18th October 2014

Scotland
We love Scotland. We love everything about Scotland. Love the photos.
7th June 2019
Scottish Seagull

http://www.sarkariyojna.org/
i like this your post and good jobs thanks

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0294s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb