Day 19 - Friday 17 March - Sandend to Dunnet


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Caithness County
March 18th 2023
Published: March 18th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Sorry I didn’t write this up yesterday - I was not in the right headspace.

This morning we left Sandend - so sorry to leave, we’ve had the loveliest time. We set off with lovely plans for stopping enroute to Dunnet, but these did not eventuate.





We had planned to stop off at a distillery as we were passing right by, but unfortunately they were unexpectedly closed. So we continued on to Glen Morangie, but they were open only for sales in the shop. We had planned to have lunch at the Morangie House Hotel, but contrary to their website, they were not open at all, until Sunday (Mothers Day).





It was about this point that the Optus coverage ceased. It seems they cover the UK, just not the highlands of Scotland. So we drove on to a pub, MacGregors, and their only choices were hotdogs or burgers. So we both chose a hot dog and it was not nice at all. And of course, three minutes further on we saw a lovely looking pub which we’re sure had much nicer food!





We continued up to Dunnet, on the worst roads in the UK, I’m sure. BUT!!!!!! Upon arrival we found we have the most wonderful accommodation booked. This place has a large home built in the 1990s, and 2 self catering accommodation cottages in the grounds, and they offer B&B in the house, which is what we’d booked. Only the husband, John, was here when we arrived - he’s from Dorset but has been in Caithness since the 1970s, originally working in the nuclear research facility.





Neither of us were wanting dinner, after that terrible hot dog, but managed to eat the fresh scones with jam and cream that the owners had put in our room for us. 😊.





So yeah, that was today …


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb