Royal Troon - as pure as it gets, with our "postage stamp" of approval!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Ayrshire » Troon
August 22nd 2017
Published: August 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

One to go!One to go!One to go!

Matchplay over 370-369 in Stableford points
After, maticulous course management for nearly two weeks, I found myself in the sandy graves of Royal Troon on the first three holes - that quickly ended any thoughts of a Stenson/Mickelson feud between Wylie and Clause. Let's call it PMVLD (post matchplay victory let down) that resulted losing properly 6&4 for the standard pint of Belhaven Best. The costly result came when I lost in Stableford points, as well, 31 to 27. That means Mike is ahead by 1point after 12 matches (not counting the 36-holes of fourball play at Muirfield. 370 (30,8) to 369 (30,8). Now that's a pretty good match.

Let's talk about Royal Troon where Hendrik Stenson and Phil Michelson played the great final round of golf since The Duel in the Desert between Watson and Nicklaus in 1977 at Turnberry. Having played Troon, I can see why it was such a great display of golf. With extended length and 25 meter fairways, there was such a demand for precesion and length. Many of the holes are well bunkered both through the green and around the greens, themselves. The greens are also more damanding with subtle and some severve slopes. But what a variety of shots required for good play. Off target shots were penalized and short-sided shots left little for choice in options for play. Take your medicine and move on. I will never apologize for how penal our bunkers at SFL can be after visiting a few of the sandy bits in Scotland where sideways or backwards are the only directions for safe play.

Troon's great champions are on display in the beautiful Clubhouse that featured public and private spaces from locker rooms to bars. The walls were adourned with beautiful artwork and tributes to the legends of the game - Locke, Palmer, Calcavecchia, Weiskopf, Leonard and Stenson.

After the game, we shared some more tales from the game that has treated us so well as we watched the golfers finish outsde the bar window only a few yards away.

We having been so well looked after by John and Janellen Young. Assisting with our tour, assisting with our bookings on and off the course and even sharing their these last two nights. Daughter Jo and her husband, Steve joined us for dinner as we shared a great Scottish that opened with Haggis (dipped in whisky cream) aaaaaah!

With my friend, Grant Leversha's assistance, his photography, his paper and a great framer's edfort in St Andrews, we were able to present John and Janellen with a nice addition to there gallery of memories. See below

Today, we are off to Bothwell Castle, where John is the Honorary President, for our last game. We have experienced so much and played some of the best on offer. But, as i said in my toast at dinner, "You must give respect to the great game of golf for bringing some many opportunities to us all - sport, business and fellowship"

End, no.14



Cheers

???️❤️?⛳️??


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 23


Advertisement




Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0561s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb