Prestwick - the home of the first Open Championship


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Ayrshire » Prestwick
August 18th 2017
Published: August 18th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Today was special, really special as we teed off at the home of the 1st Open Championship. Prestwick is not Muirfield...there is not a course much more low-key, yet, a very proper feel when you enter.

Oh, its still a jacket and tie environment and the locker room reaks of history with names that cover generations of royals and higherarchy.

The course opens with a par-4 that embarassed former Open Champion, Sandy Lyle, as he launched his drive onto the railroad tracks when returning for the 150 year tribute. Lee Trevino was there and so was amateur champion, Harvey Ward.

Prestwick is the history of golf and the course has stood the test of time. They say they dont have the infrastructure to host another Open, as the last champion, Jim Barnes, was awarded the Claret Jug way back in 1925. I think they could host the Open Championship tomorrow.

We played in wind and rain and it took nothing away from this great experience.



They have hosted international amateur and professIonal competitions since and the course remains very special after all these years.

Tomorrow we play Stranraer - James Braid's last. Its all. ?


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement




Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb