Scotland


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Argyll » Oban
June 25th 2011
Published: June 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Sorry for the delay. We couldn't get WiFi @ our B &B in Oban.
We are back and had our daily haggis at breakfast. It was interesting and somewhat tasty, but don’t ask what is in it! (I, Kate, will not be eating any more haggis. One tiny taste was all I could manage….) We got back on our bus and headed to Loch Lomond, which is the largest land-locked loch (lake) in
Scotland. We then stopped in Luss, a WEE town on its shores. No, the Loch Ness Monster is not there! We toured a small chapel, Luss Parish Church--Memorial Church of Sir James Colquhon, dating from the 1600’s who drowned in the Loch. Very old gravestones-even Vikings were buried there- interesting to read. There were Viking graves identified by the long carved stones called hogbacks. On the walls of this church are adored with carved skulls & cross bones and little cherubs. The skull and crossbones represent man’s mortality and the cherubs symbolize immortality. The scenery is just gorgeous.
At one point we stopped and drank from a natural ancient spring called Moses Well springing out of a rock. (just like in Deuteronomy 8). Does it have MYSTIC POWERS? No, we prayed for loss of at least ten pounds, but it hasn’t happened yet. On our way out of the Park we went to “Hell and Back! (Hell’s Glen)
We stopped in Inveraray and had lunch at a WEE pub (George’s Tavern) on the main street and did some shopping. The village of Inverary was built by the Duke of Argyll to house his workers. We were certainly enjoyed Inveraray Castle. It is completely furnished and still occupied by the 13th Duke of Argyll. So much history!!
On to Loch Awe we passed Kilchurn Castle and stopped to see St. Conan’s Chapel. It was the most interesting conglomeration of architectural styles built by the Argyll’s. It is a great example of too much money. It houses two Duke of Argyll and Robert Bruce’s finger-(a relic). The downspouts are of scary rabbits and boars.
We got to Oban to find that our luggage had arrived. We had dinner at a seafood café and walked back to our B&B around 11:00pm. It was just getting dark.
In the morning we leave for the Isle of Mull.

Scottish joke of the day: What did the shepherd say to the sheep? Let’s get the flock out of here!! More tomorrow!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.036s; cc: 14; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0819s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb