The Isle of Mull


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Argyll » Isle of Mull
July 16th 2009
Published: July 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

CraignureCraignureCraignure

Pop. 200
After our narrow gauge train ride with views of the Sound of Mull and a brief respite in the Torosay Castle gardens near Craignure (pop. 200) we headed south to Bunessan (pop. 150) and our B&B (Ardtun House). The drive is only about 31 miles in distance but you might be surprised how much time it takes to travel on single track roads, even in such a remote area. Oncoming local cars, pop up sheeps, cow herds and the occasional but very large tour bus can slow you down quite a bit. I had to control myself not to dart from "passing area" to "passing area" -- technically, the ones on the right side of the lane are for the oncoming cars. Our pictures will not do justice to the absolute stunning beauty or scale of this island's features, nor to its basic remoteness (which 3 of us really, really loved). Around every curve or hill was another breathtaking sight, and it was such an adventure getting there! Some of the things we did were to pop into the grounds of the 13thC. Duart Castle, the oldest inhabited castle on Mull by the Chief of the Clan Maclean and to stop in Pennyghael (pop. 50) for a nosh, but the pub was not yet open and the Post Office store had a pretty limited selection. We did enjoy a yummy seafood dinner at the Argyll Arms in Bunessan after checking in at our B&B. The next day we drove to Fionnphort (pop.80) to catch the boat to Staffa and Iona (details in a separate blog). The following day we drove along Loch Scridain and the northern coast, where we saw huge velvet green mountains, rocky cliffs, a boy and his dog on a 4x4 herding a bunch of bevos (towards a campsite for breakfast and a perhaps a swim with the campers), the lovely beach at Calgary Bay with views of Coll, Tiree and sunbathing sheep, through to Dervaig (pop. 150) and finally to the relatively large urban center of Tobermory (pop. 900) where we spent the afternoon. After a pint of Guinness and a Gaelic chicken schnitzel dinner it was off to Salen (pop. 300) and onto Craignure to catch the ferry back to Oban.



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Highland cooHighland coo
Highland coo

we Texans call 'em bevos
can you find Bevo?can you find Bevo?
can you find Bevo?

he is big, but the land is bigger
Pennyghael - Pop. 50Pennyghael - Pop. 50
Pennyghael - Pop. 50

Once home to the famous "Mull Doctors" French experts in herbal medicine
Ardtun HouseArdtun House
Ardtun House

very nice and friendly B&B; had 2 dogs and 2 cats
view of Bunessanview of Bunessan
view of Bunessan

from our B&B
FionnphortFionnphort
Fionnphort

this is where we picked up the boat for Staffa and Iona
old boatsold boats
old boats

low tide
Tobermory Tobermory
Tobermory

very pretty, but too many blasted tourists
HarbourHarbour
Harbour

Tobermory
Leaving Mull Leaving Mull
Leaving Mull

on a Cal-Mac ferry


Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1105s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb