Scottish whisky world


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Argyll » Isle of Islay
April 16th 2009
Published: April 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We're now at Islay which is in the north west of Scotland. It's a whisky person's paradise! I think there are 8 distilleries on the island and Peter's already been to 4.

Although it's sunny here; it's absolutely freezing! I have acquired gloves and a scarf to go with my very thick sheepskin coat. I look like the michelin man when I go outside!

We had a very uneventful trip to Scotland and enjoyed the trip over to Islay. The previous night we spent a night at Inverary which was one of those white Scottish picture postcard towns.

The driving had been going well until yesterday. We were returning from Caol Isla distillery along a one lane windy road and unfortunately we drove off the road at a bad spot and we ended up in a ditch with the car suspended in mid air. Thankfully no one was hurt and there was only enough damage for us to lose our car hire deposit.

We were very lucky that a farmer cam along with a tractor and pulled us out. As luck would have it, he was the manager of one of the whisky distilleries!!

We had dinner at a lovely seaside restaurant last night. It stayed light until about 8:00pm so we had a great view of the windswept beach. Only a couple of seagulls braved the cold. Everyone else was inside sitting beside the fire (as you do)!.

Peter's off at the Bowmore distillery this morning. It's about 100 metres from our B&B. Peter reckons this is just about as good as it gets!

Sandy and pj



Advertisement



16th April 2009

only 4?
Only been to 4? Was that on the way from the airport to the hotel?
23rd April 2009

Only 4
Hi Dan I think we went to 7 or 8 in the end. Talk about boring (for me)! Peter felt like he was in heaven thouhg. How's Cleo? heers Sandy

Tot: 0.369s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.1479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb