Our last stop - Northern Ireland


Advertisement
Published: August 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Northern Ireland - Belfast.
Kevin's mother and father came over to Canada from Belfast in the 1950's, several years before the troubles of Northern Ireland. Kevin's brother Michael and sister Margaret were born in Belfast. Much family still lives in Belfast and we were very fortunate to stay and visit with some of Kevin's father's family for 1 week. We were spoiled with food, family stories and history, and sightseeing opportunities. This stop was the perfect way to end our 4 week trip of a lifetime!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Giant's CausewayGiant's Causeway
Giant's Causeway

The story goes that Irish Giant Finn MacCool built these stepping stones across the sea to reach Scotland to challenge the Scottish Giant - Benandonner. The hexagon shaped rock formations of the causeway were caused by solidified lava from an ancient volcano formed about 60 million years ago.
Scrabo TowerScrabo Tower
Scrabo Tower

This tower sits at the top of the hill near Meta's house. We climbed to the top of Scrabo Tower, 122 steps up a circular staircase. This tower was built in over 150 years ago.
View from Scrabo towerView from Scrabo tower
View from Scrabo tower

40 shades of green of Ireland!!
Belfast LoughBelfast Lough
Belfast Lough

This view of part of the Belfast Lough is really beautiful. It was here that the Titanic was built and began her sea trials in the Irish Sea before setting sail from England.
Church that Kevin's parents were married inChurch that Kevin's parents were married in
Church that Kevin's parents were married in

This church is on Shankill Road
Shankill RoadShankill Road
Shankill Road

Kevin's mother, Irene, grew up on Shankill road. Shankill road was the site of many bombings and shootings during the troubled times of Belfast 30+ years ago. Wall murals cover many of the buildings allover Belfast and on Shankill Road, many of the murals are radically political and are harsh reminders to the troubling times of the past. Behind the murals you can see the top of the Peace Wall which still separates Shankill Road from the Falls Road. The gate between the road continues to be closed and locked at night...to prevent trouble between the loyalists and the unionists in which there is still some resentment today - often among the youth of Northern Ireland.
Wall MuralsWall Murals
Wall Murals

Belfast's troubled past is not easy to forget as you pass these murals in Belfast. Bitter reminders are eveywhere from both sides.
Titanic Wall MuralTitanic Wall Mural
Titanic Wall Mural

It is said, The Titanic was built by an Irishman and sunk by an Englishman.
ReflectionsReflections
Reflections

On a cloudy day, the harbor offered amazing reflections of boats in the water.


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb