Antrim Coast - Ballycastle to Derry


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Northern Ireland » County Antrim
October 18th 2018
Published: October 28th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Thursday October 18 - We had breakfast again at the house before leaving. All of the airbnbs that we’ve stayed at on this trip have offered breakfast - some cooked and some continental, but all were lovely. Today we finished the Antrim coast drive. We headed first to nearby Dunluce castle to take a peek, and then to Portrush to look around. Next we headed to Whiterocks beach. We ate some chips in the car for lunch and then walked over to Downhill Demesne and Mussenden Temple. I’m glad we walked because it was pretty, and I think the site was closed, so I’m not sure we could have parked/entered from the front. The Demesne is an old large house that is in ruins now, after maybe 60 years of being unoccupied. The Temple was built as a library, and is now at the very edge of the cliff, as the cliff has fallen away nearby. I would have liked to have gone inside, but it was fun having it to ourselves also.

After waking back to the car, we drove on to Londonderry (Derry). Derry has an old town that is fully enclosed by city walls and they are the most structurally intact walls of any European city. We parked in town and walked around the city on the city walls, which was pretty cool. We were there in the late afternoon/early evening, and so the church I had wanted to visit had just closed, but it was a nice walk. We also walked over to the Peace Bridge, which is pretty funky. We got some pub food for dinner, checked into our airbnb and had a lazy night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 47, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb