Belfast, Devils Causeway, Castles and Carrick A Rede Bridge


Advertisement
Published: May 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

What a BIG day we had today.
We joined a bus tour to take us up to the Devil's Causeway. We departed at 9.30am with Allen's Tour Bus.
Our journey started at Belfast and continued up the Antrim Coastal Road. The scenery along this road is beautiful.
We passed through the Glens of Antrim:
Glenarm, famous for its abundant salmon fishing and haunted castle.
Carnlough with its picturesque harbour and distinctive rural character.
Cushendall and its 19th Century red curfew house
Ballycastle the home to the one and only 400 year old "Oul Lammas Fair"
Click on the link below for more info.
http://www.causewaycoastalroute.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52&Itemid=55

We visited Carrickfergus Castle which is a 12th century Norman castle and one of the best preserved medieval castles in Ireland. Besieged by the Scots, Irish, English and the French the castle is steeped in history and is where King William 111 first set foot in Ireland in 1690.

Next stop was the famous Carrick A Rede rope bridge
The walk across this bridge was scary and exhilarating. This 30metre deep and 20 metre wide chasm is traversed by this rope bridge which ajoins Carrick-a-Rede island. It was erected and used by salmon fishermen. Once you cross the bridge to the island you are rewarded with fantastic views.
It was quite windy on the bridge and I was quite relieved to reach the other side - the only problem was that I had to cross it again to get back to the mainland.

Next stop was the Giants Causeway. The story goes that .............. google it and find out!
The causeway was formed 60-65 million years ago from Lava flows. We had a lovely time walking over these amazing rock formations.

We then called in to the Bushmills Whisky Distillery - much to Steve's delight.

Our final stop was to view Dunluce Castle a site which is believed to have been inhabited since the 13th Century.
We arrived back at the Hotel at around 7pm.
What another fabulous day and we had fantastic weather again....lucky us!


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



5th May 2011

That looks very scarey crossing the rope bridge,
but the scenery is beautiful. Your photos looks like postcards!
5th May 2011

The bus trip
seems like a good idea because then you can relax and enjoy the view!

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb