Roadtrip to Malvern and the Cotsworlds


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Worcestershire » Malvern
June 22nd 2009
Published: August 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 394
We set off after work to Vicky's (our landlady/house mate) to her mum's house in Malvern (voted the one of the most beautiful and picturesque countryside of England. With a quick stop at Worscester for a pic of the cathedral glistening under a near full moon, we arrived at her mothers beautiful English house filled with traditional furniture, hundreds of tea cups and the most amazing dolls house I'd ever seen (It could have kept Carly entertained for hours) unfortunately it was time for bed!

Day 395
After a much needed sleep in we cooked ourselves a traditional English breaky (well almost minus the black pudding and sausage) and set off up the Malvern hills with the dogs. (As we were dog sitting Vicky´s dog Tash and her mums dog Pippen for the day). With a mud map and two dogs that had walked the path hundreds of times before what could go wrong. Fortunately, nothing other then a slight detour off course, beautiful views of the English country side and warm sun despite a chilly breeze. We arrived back into the town of Malvern past the many other dog walkers, family's and mountain bikers, through the hilly streets picking up some supplies before returning to enjoy picnic lunch in the garden.
We made the most of an quiet afternoon catching up on some study (confused... we have both enrolled in some post grad study.. not highly recommended when trying to travel!). We took a English style study break heading to the Bluebird tearooms for a delicious coffee and cream scones.
That evening we joined Vicky and the dogs at the local for a lovely meal in a warm country pub which welcomes dogs.

Day 396
After another English breakfast we hit the road on Vicky's tour of the Cotswolds starting with the bluebell flowers creating lush blue blanket up the side of the hills. Next stop, we filled up our drink bottles from one of the many natural springs (which apparently is the only water the Queen will drink and get it transported to London!).
We made our way to the quaint village of Broadway and its famous buildings covered in purple wisteria (Unfortunately at the end of its season). Next, we stopped at Slaughters and marvelled at the children fishing with nets in the icy cold river. We passed through the village of Bourton- on- the- water which was choking with hoards of tourists before finally stopping at Bilbury consider the most beautiful village in England.
We stopped for lunch on the Arlington Row liked so much by Henry Ford he offered to buy it, have it knocked down and rebuilt in America. (Fortunately that didn't happen).
We enjoyed an ice cream as we watched the schools of rainbow and brown trout swimming down the river and then made our way back to Birmingham.
A lovely relaxing weekend in the countryside.. thanks Vicky.




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 19; qc: 63; dbt: 0.076s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb