Life after the Volcanic Ash


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » West Yorkshire » Leeds
April 24th 2010
Published: May 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Castle HowardCastle HowardCastle Howard

Castle Howard, Yorkshire, UK
Since our trip was cancelled, I had some time off work although I returned earlier than scheduled. We made some day trips to Castle Howard, near York, and Quarry Bank Mill, in Cheshire and near Manchester Airport. I also made trips to Durham and Newcastle, which are in a future blog.

Castle Howard

My Dad dropped my Mum, Angie and I off at the entrance gates while he drove on to visit Eden Camp near the Yorkshire Coast. We felt we had paid more than what we should for what we got. We spent a couple of hours exploring the extensive grounds before visiting the house. I enjoyed exploring the grounds including the formal gardens, the South Lake, the Mausoleum and the Temple of the Four Winds. It was interesting to look at the various statues dotted around in the grounds such as the Borghese Gladiator aka the Roman Fighting Gladiator.

Castle Howard is the home of Simon Howard and was founded by one of his ancestors, the 3rd Earl of Carlisle and was subsequently owned by the three Earls. Looking around the house, we felt they could have let us see more rooms considering the entry fee
ReflectionsReflectionsReflections

Quarry Bank Mill & Styal Estate, Cheshire, UK
we had paid. I learnt about the "Brideshead Revisited" movie and the two productions being filmed at Castle Howard. We also had learnt about The Great Fire of 1940 and the extensive damage it caused including the main dome of the house, which has been restored since and the committed ongoing restoration work to the affected rooms.

The house and the grounds reflect the influences from the Enlgihtenment era incluidng the display of Greco/Roman antiquity and artefacts confirming the Earl's question for knowledge and reason. It was interesting that George Howard was actively involved with the Enlightenment, Romantic, Georgian and Victorian era and met key people who played a part in shaping Britain's history including Titus Salt, Charlotte Bronte, William Wordsworth and Augustus Pugin. It is nice knowing these findings associated with my current university studies and made my learning "alive". Afterwards, we had a coffee at the Fitzroy Room Cafe and Mum and I had a wander down to The Great Lake. We admired the spring flowers in full bloom and enjoyed the wonderful weather we were having on the day.

At the end of the visit, we bought some organic products at the farm shop. We
Quarry Bank MillQuarry Bank MillQuarry Bank Mill

Quarry Bank Mill & Styal, Cheshire, UK
then waited for my Dad to pick us up and we made our way home. It was a lovely day.

Quarry Bank Mill and Styal

We spent a couple of days at a Manchester Airport hotel before our friend, Angie, had to catch her flight home. We meant to have done this anyway after our cruise but circumstances changed and we decided to keep our hotel bookings and use the time to explore locally.

Quarry Bank Mill and Styal is owned by National Trust and on paying our entry fee, I decided to become a member of the National Trust where I can get free entry to all the attractions owned by them. My Dad reckons this would be a good investment. So I will look out for any National Trust properties on any British trips I make.

The Mill and Styal village were built by the Greg family. The mill workers lived in the village and still has an active community today. I did not look at the village as I wanted to look round other things including the Quarry Bank House Garden.

My mum and Angie decided to take it easy and just
South LakeSouth LakeSouth Lake

Castle Howard, Yorkshire, UK
explore the grounds and gardens. So my Dad and I began our exploration in the Mill. It was interesting to see the demonstrations on how cotton was processed and into cloth. We, Dad particularly, enjoyed the mechanical feats such as the big waterwheel which was used to generate water power in which replaced steam power for production. We took a guided tour around The Apprentice House and garden, which was interesting but I was appalled about the conditions the children had to work in. I am so glad that Robert Owen, a mill owner at New Lanark in Scotland in the 1800s, influenced the government in changing the legislation to improve working conditions for children. However, the revised law meant that The Apprentice House was no longer feasible so it was eventually closed for operation.

In all it was a nice day and it is just nice to spend the day there whether you want to learn about Britain's industrial past or just wander in the grounds. I highly recommend a visit there.

My next blog will cover my recent trips to Durham and Newcastle.




Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Castle HowardCastle Howard
Castle Howard

Castle Howard, Yorkshire, UK
Me in the grounds, Castle HowardMe in the grounds, Castle Howard
Me in the grounds, Castle Howard

Castle Howard, Yorkshire, UK
Angie & MaAngie & Ma
Angie & Ma

Castle Howard, Yorkshire, UK
Enlightenment InfluencesEnlightenment Influences
Enlightenment Influences

Castle Howard, Yorkshire, UK
Enlightement InfluencesEnlightement Influences
Enlightement Influences

Castle Howard, Yorkshire, UK
Inside the HouseInside the House
Inside the House

Castle Howard, Yorkshire, UK
Inside the HouseInside the House
Inside the House

Castle Howard, Yorkshire, UK
Inside the HouseInside the House
Inside the House

Castle Howard, Yorkshire, UK
Inside the HouseInside the House
Inside the House

Castle Howard, Yorkshire, UK
Inside the HouseInside the House
Inside the House

Castle Howard, Yorkshire, UK
About The Great Fire of 1940About The Great Fire of 1940
About The Great Fire of 1940

Castle Howard, Yorkshire, UK
About The Great Fire of 1940About The Great Fire of 1940
About The Great Fire of 1940

Castle Howard, Yorkshire, UK
The Great LakeThe Great Lake
The Great Lake

Castle Howard, Yorkshire, UK
Spring has arrived!Spring has arrived!
Spring has arrived!

Castle Howard, Yorkshire, UK
Quarry Bank MillQuarry Bank Mill
Quarry Bank Mill

Quarry Bank Mill & Styal Estate, Cheshire, UK
Cotton Weaving DemonstrationCotton Weaving Demonstration
Cotton Weaving Demonstration

Quarry Bank Mill, Cheshire, UK
Cotton ProductionCotton Production
Cotton Production

Quarry Bank Mill, Cheshire, UK


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0327s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb