Claremont Landscape Garden


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Surrey » Esher
December 16th 2010
Published: December 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

BearBearBear

Created by one of the gardeners who have done restoration work.
A beautiful garden with a lake and an unusual grass amphitheatre, Esher, Surrey, was initially designed by Sir John Vanbrugh, Charles Bridgeman, William Kent, and Capability Brown in 1726. When the project was completed, the garden was described as the noblest garden in Europe.

However, the historic landscape garden suffered long-term neglect. In 1975, the Slater Foundation offered generous support which helped the National Trust restore the historic landscape garden.

In addition to restoring the overall garden and ornaments, the gardeners laid the footpath so that visitors can walk along the lake, parkland, and woodland and look round the Camellia House. Camellias bloom between December and May. The lake is home to black swans, ducks, and herons, and these waterfowl swim and rest at the island of the lake and grotto.

In spring, snowdrops, daffodils, and bluebells spread their carpets on the grounds, rhododendrons, azaleas, and magnolias decorate the lush parklands between spring and summer. Maples and leaves offer majestic colourful displays under the blue sky in autumn, and shows wintry scenes with frosty grounds in winter. Don’t forget to climb to the viewpoint where you can overlook the lake, amphitheatre, and woodlands.

The garden has been managed by the National Trust. It opens all day between April and October and opens between Tuesdays to Saturdays between November and March.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb