Day 99 - Lichfield, home of David Garrick and Erasmus Darwin.


Advertisement
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Staffordshire
August 22nd 2013
Published: August 22nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

0 locks, 411 in total. Boat crew all present and correct once more so I was able to bus into Lichfield without fear of returning to a fried dog. Once in Tamworth it is just 5 miles to Lichfield yet it takes 35 minutes on the bus; the route is rather like a 'join up the dots' puzzle. One loop took me through Whittington Barracks, home of the Staffordshire and Mercian Regiments I l... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The Lichfield AngelThe Lichfield Angel
The Lichfield Angel

This was found during excavations in the nave and dated as late 8th century. It was probably part of a shrine to St. Chad and is thought to show Gabriel telling Mary that she is to have a child.
The Staffordshire Hoard of Saxon artefacts found a few years ago.The Staffordshire Hoard of Saxon artefacts found a few years ago.
The Staffordshire Hoard of Saxon artefacts found a few years ago.

Some items were displayed in the cathedral. This was actually a copy of a tiny piece of jewelry and the inscription says that on the original piece each little scroll was about 1/3 of the size of a grain of rice.
Decoration on a sword hilt - original.Decoration on a sword hilt - original.
Decoration on a sword hilt - original.

It is made of gold wire woven in a mesh - incredible craftsmanship on all the exhibits.
All that remains of The St. Chad Gospels.All that remains of The St. Chad Gospels.
All that remains of The St. Chad Gospels.

Displayed under glass and low lighting, this has survived because it is printed on calf skin rather than paper. Each double page used a complete calf skin. The writing was so neat it could have been typed. The Gospel has been dated as 730 AD, making it one of the oldest books in Britain.
Electronic book of the whol St Chad Gospel.Electronic book of the whol St Chad Gospel.
Electronic book of the whol St Chad Gospel.

This page shows the lilac colouring.



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0304s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb