Day 79 - Stockton Brook and beyond on the Caldon Canal


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Staffordshire
August 2nd 2013
Published: August 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 79 - still on the Caldon.


Victorian Water Works at Stockton Brook....Victorian Water Works at Stockton Brook....Victorian Water Works at Stockton Brook....

...they knew how to build to last.
5 locks, 371 in total.







Another day when we seemed to miss the rain, not that I'm complaining. We motored the last couple of miles to Stockton Brook, through 2 drawbridges, and were just in time to meet Barbara and Ellie, who came bearing gifts in the shape of homemade honey cakes – yummy and many thanks, both for the cakes and for coming to visit.







The locks were quite difficult so Barbara and Ellie had a fairly hard introduction to canal life. Once through the 5 locks we walked back to the village for a pub lunch, only to find that the one remaining pub did not serve food - *sigh* - so we cobbled together some lunch on board and then motored a little further to absorb the pastoral setting of this part of the Caldon. Ellie proved a dab hand at helming – quite amazingly competent for a first attempt so very well done.







After they'd left we motored on a little way to a water point and rubbish disposal. We were delighted to find that there
One of several sculptures at the locks...One of several sculptures at the locks...One of several sculptures at the locks...

... I couldn't see any difference between each of them though.
was also a shower and laundry facilities but our hopes swiftly dashed when the door lock was jammed!



And here's the rain now....and thunder.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement


Our helpers....Our helpers....
Our helpers....

...thank you.
Novice helmsman ....Novice helmsman ....
Novice helmsman ....

...is there a boating equivalent of the Sword of Honour?


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb