Corpus Christi; the body of Christ.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Oxfordshire » Oxford
December 9th 2015
Published: January 6th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Oxford is a small old university city, one of the eldest in the world and within it's nation's borders competing with what the people of Oxford refer to as 'the other one' or 'the C-word'. Within Oxford you can find several Oxford University Colleges built in the shape of a quadrant, which refers back to times when Oxford was a Saxon settlement which were traditionally built on the middle of a crossroad with roads leading to all four wind directions. One of the most prestigious probably is Christ church which is home to both modern film-sets and famous architecture. For example the Old Tom bell tower (the Oxford equivalent to the Big Ben in London) and a true Cathedral, namely; Christ Church. Christ Church even has it's own time-zone. In the old days when the clocks around the world were not synced and every ship and city had their own (onboard) time. Due to it's geographical position Oxford was 5 minutes late on Greenwich. These are even old fashioned measurement scales the world is divided in. When all time in the world was standardized in the pre-digital age Greenwich became the standard time and the whole English time zone changed their clocks to the Greenwich time. All and everyone but Christ Church who deem themselves so special they have their own peculiar time schedule. They are always five minutes late. The Rabbit of Alice in Wonderland is always late for this specific reason!

Students accepted into Christ Church college allways have a reasonable approach to their masters, literally. Every single student has to write a piece which they have to personally defend. This way of education accommodates for a critical vision on a person their own work and give a student and professor one-on-one time to get to perfect results. Christ Church college has a broad range of alumni who are sometimes eternalized. Like Albert Einstein in leadlight. Fun fact; Albert Einstein never really studied in Oxford, on the contrary, he disliked Oxford so much that he went off to find himself another university. Despite the fact that Albert Einstein never studied in Oxford Christ Church pays homage to the great master and his brains and claim to be his university. All these details not only make Christ Church college prestigious but maybe also a little bit pretentious.



You would also might think the daily formal dinner in Christ Church College pretentious, Harry Potter like scenes come to life when you enter the dinning hall with rows of tables and chairs where students sit and a raised platform for the teachers under the eye of all the masters of old. But is it really a 'Harry Potteresque' like appearance? Actually it is the Harry Potter series that are based on this type of dinning hall that makes the Harry Potter movies so typically British, because it is all the real deal in Christ Church, more pompous than you could possibly imagine.

Christ Church as a name for this college is actually misleading as Christ Church is not a church but home to a cathedral. Not every congregation can say that they are home to the throne of a bishop but Christ Church can. Or should we say Christ Cathedral? A beautiful classic-baroque building with lead light bible stories and their ever five minute late services. Christ Church college is also world famous because of its cathedral Choir, which performs on a regular basis.



All in all Christ Church College is a beautiful site you should definitely visit if you have the chance, it is a wild and vast mix of typical English Culture, Architecture, History both prestigious and pretentious.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb