The Cotswolds Stunning Place For a Relaxing UK Break


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Oxfordshire » Oxford
December 23rd 2013
Published: December 23rd 2013
Edit Blog Post



The Cotswolds are essential a range of limestone hills, covering an area of 790 square miles in the southwest of England, and combines the six counties of Worcester, Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Oxfordshire, Warwickshire and Bath, touching out the outskirts of North East Somerset. The area is a favourite with both UK residents and visitors from abroad, and is without doubt a reflection of quintessential Englishness.

Declared an area of outstanding natural beauty, the rolling hills of the Cotswolds have over 300 miles of public footpaths, two national trail walks and the largest number of conservation areas in England. Visitors come to explore the historic countryside enjoy the stunning views which have remained almost untouched for 300 years.
You can get some very picturesque cottages to rent for the week and really enjoy this district to the full.

The area is surrounded by historical and picturesque hamlets, villages and towns. There are some amazing Tudor, Jacobean Manor Houses and Stately homes open to the public, as well as some of the most impressive castles in the country. In Gloucestershire you can find Berkley Castle. Built using warm pink stone that glows in the light of the sunset, this March Castle was built as a defence against the Welsh. Gloucester Cathedral lies in the heart of the city and is a mix of Norman Nave, Romanesque and early perpendicular architecture. This stunning building is one of the most incredible in Europe, and was used as Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in most of the Harry Potter films!

Broughton Castle in Banbury, Oxfordshire, is regarded as one of the most beautiful castles in England because of its moat, church, surrounding woodland and orange and buff stone. The town of Hailes is home to both the ruins of Hailes Abbey and Hailes church. Hailes Abbey was founded in the 13th century and was gifted with a vial of the Holy Grail by Richard, Earl of Cornwall. This attracted pilgrims from around the world and the Abbey became extremely rich, until the vial was revealed to contain ducks blood. The Abbey was closed in 1539 by Henry VIII and fell into ruin. Hailes Church was built in 1130, and remains of murals dating back the 13th Century can still be seen on the walls. Another sight not to be missed is the Chedworth Roman Villa, one of the largest in the country, with amazing remains such as mosaics, bathhouses and over a mile of Roman-built walls. Blenheim Palace in the town of Woodstock, home to the Duke of Marlborough, was the birthplace of Sir Winston Churchill. Its amazing art collection won Blenheim Palace the honour of becoming a world Heritage site, and is home to the Marlborough Maze, the world’s largest symbolic hedge maze.

There are literally hundreds of historical sites to visit in the Cotswolds, and so many other activities to take part in. Ghost tours, motor and water sports, pottery, horse riding, stone walling, gliding, fishing, painting, sailing. The list is endless! Accommodation and property ranges from small B&B’s to country cottages to stately homes and some lovley refurubished properties . Whether you are travelling alone, as a couple or as a group of family or friends, it is a guarantee that you can find whatever you need to make your visit a wonderful experience.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.431s; Tpl: 0.053s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1216s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb