The Land of the Brainiacs


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Oxfordshire » Oxford
May 18th 2009
Published: May 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

My birthday fell on the bank holiday weekend this year. It was kind of bad because most of my friends had gone away but 4 of us managed to organise a day trip to Oxford. It took a 1 hour train ride and we were in the land of the brainiacs. Although it's a small town it is filled with grand buildings, manicured gardens and cobble stone roads and you can't help but feel extra brain cells and motivation to finish my masters enter my body.......... for a split second.
We spent the morning walking around the main parts of town and toured through Balliol College. This is one of the oldest Colleges in Oxford and many famous scientists and politicians have studied there. The grounds are gorgeous. Tulips are in full bloom and the sun was shining (but the wind was still blowing). Oxford University has a long history of educating and producing some truly gifted and talented women Llike Margaret Thatcher. Today it boasts of having educated 25 British Prime Ministers, 25 International leaders, 47 Nobel prize winners, 6 current holders of the order of merit, 6 kings, 12 saints, 20 Archbishops of Canterbury and 9 Olympic medal winners. WOW! It appears that you are destined for importance the minute you study here.
At midday we did a very dry and boring tour of the town. But got to see Christ Church College which is where tha adventures of Alice in Wonderland were inspired. We also visited a dinner hall but I can't remember which collehe it was. I did find it really hard to stay focused because the guide was quietly spoken and there was lots of 'eye candy'. Everywhere you look there is tradition, young people, small pubs and thousands and thousands of bicycles. Which is the main form of transport throughout the area. Been the cheapo that I have become I took a photo of me with the Oxford jersey but quickly put it back on the rack for someone alse to spend £60 on. ha ha ha Oh and went a had another pint instead! We also checked out the college where thay filmed parts of Harry Potter but couldn't see everything cause parts were closed for the day. BOO HOO.
We finished our day trip with a roast dinner at the one of the Pubs in the main street which was a nice birthday treat but nowhere as good as Nan's. Look forward to the day I get to eat Nans' potatoes and gravy!
1 Hour later I was back to reality in central London and glad that my days of study on hold for a little while.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Waiting for the intelligence to come upon usWaiting for the intelligence to come upon us
Waiting for the intelligence to come upon us

The other 3 girls: Jess, Amanda and Laura
A baked birthday Lunch with JessA baked birthday Lunch with Jess
A baked birthday Lunch with Jess

But not the same as Nans.


Tot: 0.443s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 81; dbt: 0.2473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb