Oxford


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Oxfordshire » Oxford
April 13th 2009
Published: April 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Bull of OxfordThe Bull of OxfordThe Bull of Oxford

Seriously the first thing you see when you get off the train.
Oxford - bookish, conservative, closeted and elite. Thirty Nine Colleges make up the University, with the oldest being 750 years.

We saw most of the sites, including Christ Church College which was founded in 1525 and includes the Tom Tower which was designed by Sir Christopher Wren. Albert Einstein, John Locke, WH Auden and Lewis Carol studied here (as well as 13 prime ministers).

Magdalen College - on the banks of the canal, adjacent to the Botanical Gardens. Bodledian Library, containing more than 7 million books, the Radcliffe Camera - a circular library constructed in 1737-1749, with the third largest dome in Britain.

The Eagle and Child - drinking haunt of Tolkien and CS Lewis, the pub was established in 1650. And Alice's Shop - which was the cause of inspiration for CS Lewis and these days is a sweet shop/alice in wonderland shop...

The 14th Century tower of the Church of St Mary the Virgin.

We enjoyed a punt on the river! We got someone to punt the boat for us - too much effort otherwise!

All in all a pretty good day out - was nice weather and we saw most of the sights in a day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Us puntingUs punting
Us punting

The punter guys legs in the background..hehe..


Tot: 0.296s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1155s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb