Oxford


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Oxfordshire » Oxford
December 1st 2006
Published: December 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Oxford is the oldest university in the English-speaking world it's been around for nine centuries!! It's not a seperate campus, the whole town of Oxford is the campus there are colleges and buildings all over the place. Only taxis and buses are allowed in the town, so all the students just ride theri bikes it's beautiful.

It has 39 colleges only one is still a women's only college. The college's were set up after the 'town and gown riots' where students rioted because the hotels they were staying in increased their price. Yeah for student activism.
You can study anything at Oxford but the only degree you come out with is batchelor of arts.

We walked around the beautiful old colleges including christchurch where Harry Potter was shot, saw the Radcliffe camera and the Rhodes building and university college where Bob Hawke was. Also saw the college CS Lewis was Dean of, the college Margaret Thatcher attended phhhh! and The place where Louis Carrol took the deans daughter Alice out and told her stories, which became Alice in wonderland. And the place where the nearly ex leader of the opoosition Balliol College. and Tony Blair's college ST John's very cool!
We also saw a pub called the black swan where CS Lewis JR Tolkein and other contemparies met and called them self the inklets! VERY COOL and beautiful. I love Oxford!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Christchurch collegeChristchurch college
Christchurch college

Hogwarts dining room


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0607s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb