A WALK IN THE WOODS


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Northumberland » Rothbury
July 14th 2010
Published: August 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

In the morning we saw that our chosen site was popular with hikers and cyclists. Even though we were not kitted out to the high standards of our fellow campers, who looked set to explore the Antarctic, we decided to don our boots and explore our local surroundings. We found a sign pointing to the riverside walk and set out to walk till we found a bridge then walk back along the other bank. We walked a good few miles. This took us longer than expected due to us having to stop and check out every fishing area, each one better than the last. As the fishing spots got better so did the size of fish which Andy was sure he would catch.
The walk eventually took us away from the riverside and into a forest. With each step we took the path was getting smaller and smaller until we were pushing branches and bushes out our way and wading knee deep in long grass - were we still in Northumberland or had we wandered into the Amazon? We came upon what can only be described as a graveyard for trees - a very strange place.

Finally, after a couple of hours with no sight of a bridge, we decided that we had better turn back. It was at this point that thunder started rumbling and the heavens opened - was this the reason all our neighbours were head to toe in waterproofs we wondered.

After quite a wet and muddy walk back we decided that we had earned a beer in one of the locals. Two of them were closed so we were left with the Cheviot Hotel. We waited at an empty bar for some time when one of the locals informed us that the barmaid had gone to change a barrel. well we think this is what he said as the local accent is a rather strange mix of Scottish and Jordie. It’s rather difficult to understand and almost impossible when they are talking to each other! We finished our drinks and decided on another round,.Andy came back from the bar with a rather disappointed look. Apparently he had had the last pint of the local beer and there was only Guinness or Tetleys on offer. Had he realised that this was to be his last decent pint for weeks I am sure he would have savoured it. Not only was there no more beer but these were our last drinks as they were closing till 7pm. One local told us that we could get another drink but we would have to travel 4 miles! Back to the van we went.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.344s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0761s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb