Morpeth and Newbiggin - new discoveries in Northumberland


Advertisement
Published: October 8th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Our journey south continued in Northumberland. Until one of Russ's brothers moved to the region, we had never visited, and therefore we never imagined what delights it held. We stopped for lunch at a picturesque part of the coastline, the small fishing village of Cove which has suffered from many nautical tragedies throughout history. A very moving memorial stands atop the cliffs with the figures of families looking vainly out to sea hoping to see their loved ones return safely home.

Newbiggin-by-the-Sea was our destination and the sun shone gloriously when we first arrived, soon to be hidden by a mist rolling in from the North Sea. We parked up near the beach and had a stroll around. Most notable is the bizarre Sean Henry sculpture simply titled "Couple". The sculpture itself is situated on the breakwater but another version has been placed next to some of the houses close to the shore so you can get a better look at what you are staring at in the distance. It's certainly an oddity! The visitors' centre is well worth a visit too with some great artwork on view. The small museum gives a good account of the history of the town and its heritage, both fishing and coal.

We stayed the night in Morpeth, about half an hour's drive inland. The Riverside Guesthouse was your typical British B&B but, despite its name and one of the photos on their website, there is no view of the river! Staying there turned out to be a good move as we found the most amazing Thai restaurant! The Nadon Thai served the best Thai food we have had outside Thailand and we urge you to go if you are ever in the area. Don't be put off by the fact that it is located above a fish & chip shop!!

There is a pleasant riverside walk around Morpeth. The views were lovely and we were very lucky with the weather. It was a surprise how quickly we were out of town and in the countryside. There is also a riverside park with amusements for kids and bowls for the older generation! We climbed up to the castle, but there was no way of getting inside. The gardens were perfectly maintained and very colourful, and it wasn't too difficult a trek up there. Whilst it doesn't have anything exceptional to offer, Morpeth is definitely a great place to break your journey.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



8th October 2014
The incredible Northumberland coastline

The coast
Beautiful

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb