Day 117 - back to Weedon.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Northamptonshire
September 9th 2013
Published: September 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 117 - back to Weedon.


Some of the 13 Rothersthorpe locks.Some of the 13 Rothersthorpe locks.Some of the 13 Rothersthorpe locks.

We walked a little way up the Northampton Arm of the Grand Union this morning. We were sorely tempted to work this flight but would not be able to turn round afterwards to return to Braunston on time.
0 locks, 441 in total.







Last night and this morning we had rain – not a great deal in daylight hours because I wore my witch waterproof to ward it off - but now (5.30 pm) it is torrential as we smugly watch people rush by.







We could have had a head-on collision, in part due to Dunlin travelling a little faster now the prop is clear. As I approached a bridge on a bend John, who was further forward than me, saw a boat coming. He called out, I decided I was almost at the bridge and therefore committed although it would appear that the other boat was only marginally less committed than me. I made the bridge first (yes!!) and we both took avoiding action, neither of us being novices – no harm done but it did seem fate that possibly the only 2 boats on the move should meet at a blind bend.







The highlight today was seeing two kingfishers, one following the other as they flew ahead of us about a yard above the canal. We slowed right down and then a boat appeared travelling towards us, who didn't slow at all – one kingfisher headed off into the bushes and the other flew back past us, almost within touching distance, which was a wonderful sight. They may look a little dumpy when sitting on branches but in flight they are slim and streamlined.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Once the supports were in the water, the crane driver went off so we didn't see the boat being lifted.


9th September 2013

kingfishers
How lovely - they are superb: we saw three once at the yacht club - flew right past our noses as you say, preceeded by some unmistakebale twittering. It was dusk and we were going down to our yacht by way of the pontoon attached to the club ship. They were like flashes of light. Lucky you. Stay dry - Sarah
12th September 2013

Kingfishers...
... we didn't hear them twittering but perhaps the engine was too loud. They are magical though. My friend Toni (my age) saw her first kingfisher ever this summer - she was walking along a towpath!

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb