Day 24 - Aynho


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Northamptonshire
June 8th 2013
Published: June 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 24 - Aynho


Unusual bow designUnusual bow designUnusual bow design

I believe that's what is known as an ice-breaker bow.
3 locks, total 109







Lots of people on the move today, sometimes up to 4 boats waiting at a lock but the single locks fill and empty quite quickly and it's a good time for chatting and playing with dogs. Springer spaniels seem to be the dog of choice for many boaters.







I shouldn't have mentioned the Cotswold stone bridges again yesterday – they've reverted to bog-standard brick ones again. We manahed to reach Aynho for a late pub lunch, which made a change. Our guide book suggested the one mile walk into the village was 'well worthwhile' so off we set, luckily having left Hattie on board. After about a quarter of a mile we gave up – narrow road, no footpath and a procession of speeding cars that weren't going to take prisoners – Aynho village was not worth the risk. Otherwise a quiet day with another painting session once moored.







By the way, the community shop at Lower Heyford that I mentioned yesterday? - a 4-pinter of milk cost us £2.20!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Heyford Common LockHeyford Common Lock
Heyford Common Lock

In the middle of nowhere.
Weird trees....Weird trees....
Weird trees....

.... and the buttercups beyond - they were so prolific it looked at first sight like a field of rape.
Repairing the canal banksRepairing the canal banks
Repairing the canal banks

Earth-filled hessian bags and then back-planting.
Somerton deep lock.Somerton deep lock.
Somerton deep lock.

12 feet deep and quite a strange feeling as the boat eases in.
What can you say about Hattie....What can you say about Hattie....
What can you say about Hattie....

.... apart from 'I told you she was special'!
Tiger prawns in garlic butter....Tiger prawns in garlic butter....
Tiger prawns in garlic butter....

.... my pub lunch - yummy.
The Great Western ArmsThe Great Western Arms
The Great Western Arms

The ladies loo - patrons are encouraged to write on pink heart-shaped stick-its rather than on the walls. Most people took the hint. My favourite comment was 'Oh, a loo full of love'.
Pub memorabiliaPub memorabilia
Pub memorabilia

Bits and pieces about the GWR, not many were noteworthy though.


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0246s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb